Chapter 40: Familiar Faces (Milo)

My ear flicked to the side. "I think we stopped."

Jed sat up and wiped his face. I could hear muffled voices outside the van.

"This happened to you before?"

I nodded. "My mother-in-law doesn't like me. While Collin went to do military training, she sold me off to traffickers. They took me to a warehouse filled with other omegas. They took pictures of us."

Jed rested his head on my shoulder. "I don't think I'll be sold. The only way to hurt the beta is to kill me."

"Don't talk like that." I wrapped my arms around him. "Your son will be here soon, and he's going to need his dad around."

"Yeah," scoffed Jed. "A shitty one who stupid enough to keep trying to help werewolf haters." He pulled at his head fur. "What was I thinking? Axil was right. Why does he always have to be damn right about everything?"

The van door opened. Humans stood outside with the werewolf who had brought us here. They had guns. Jed bared his teeth and moved in front of me.

"The beta's mate," laughed a scared-faced man. "I knew you would come in handy, Red. I'm glad your hair color came through in your fur. It'll make a nice rug." The man tilted his head to the side. "Look at that pretty thing behind you."

I swallowed hard.

"He'll bring in a good price."

"Fuck you, Hide." Jed snarled. "This time, Axil is going to kill you. Touch me and he'll never stop hunting you."

"I hope so," laughed Hide. "No better way to kill a beta. He took everything from me so it's about time I do the same to him. I won't be handing you over to that devil woman, either, so she can give you back. This time, we're doing it my way." He cocked his rifle and turned to the other humans. "Pay the man and let's move out."

The van door slammed shut.

I grabbed Jedrek's arm. "Do you know that man?"

He nodded. The engined started and the van began to move.

"Who is he?" I asked.

"Someone I never should have gotten involved with."

***

(Collin)

"My mate! The beta's mate and you can't tell me where's Jedrek is at?!"

"I'm sorry, sir. We're looking. He's nowhere on the grounds. We've searched the apartment and surrounding streets."

"Why wasn't he being watched?"

"The event had multiple high ranking dominants. All the alphas are here, sir. We can't keep track of everyone wandering around the garden."

I winced at the sound of Axil's fist hitting the security supervisor's jaw.

"I am your beta," said Axil over the dazed man. "The current beta. There is one man that outranks me. I don't give a damn that the retired alphas are here. If you want me to prove my place in this pack, line them up and we do this like the traditional. Hell, throw Judah into the mix and we'll have a real fight so you can see where I fall in this pack. My mate should have been your first priority."

"I'm sorry, sir. We'll find them. Gives us more time and we'll locate him."

Axil scanned the room. "I want your whole team working on this. If they ran off somewhere, you better find them now, and you better start praying those two just went on a walk." He marched out of the control room and slammed the door.