Chapter 39: Zombies

Should I tell them? I stared at the calendar on my phone. The full moon was only a few days away. My dad was going to be furious and even madder the day it happened. I kind of didn't want to drag it out, but I was scared. I didn't know what this drug was going to do to my body.

"Rudy," said my mother. "Finish eating so I can put breakfast away."

Nodding, I grabbed a sausage.

"Did you get all of your schoolwork turned in?"

I nodded, still thinking about whether or not I should tell my mom. She'd be upset, but I doubt she'd demand Andreas to demote me to omega. On the other hand, I didn't have a rank yet so that I might be okay.

"When is Case coming over?"

Swallowing hard, I looked up. "He'll be here in an hour or so."

"Did he say how training went?"

I shook my head.

She sat down and peered across the table at me. "Is something bothering you, Rue?"

I froze. "No, no, I've had a lot to think about. Swimming—and next year, and after that."

My mother smiled. "Enjoy your summer. It's your last one before graduating, and if you do join the national team, you're kind of their property for a few years," she laughed. "They have to whip all the new pups into shape."

"It's nothing different since most dominants have to go to a lot of training."

"It's why the national teams don't have to go to military training." She screwed on the lid to the peanut butter. "I think this will be a great opportunity for you. Midfield doesn't put as much emphasis on swimming as other packs. Northern Ridge," she eyed me. "It's a reason they're hard to beat. The traditionals are very into swimming, and the sub-packs aren't as civilized as Midfields. We have a couple of sub-pack that still use caves, but Northern Ridge has a lot." She thought for a moment. "But most of Northern Ridge's land is mountains and forest." She let out a deep breath. "I think I need to call my parents and plan a visit for some time this summer."

I forced a smile and finished off my plate. "I'm done." I took it to the sink and hurried off to my room.

Collapsing on my bed, I rubbed my face. Swimming was the last thing on my mind. I needed to get through the next couple of days and hopefully not die. I took out my phone and started to search for a drug that makes humans transform. The list of side effects was disturbing. I was a werewolf, at least, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I dug deeper, which didn't help calm my nerves.

"Rudy," called my mother. "Case is here."

"I'm in my room."

I heard footsteps soon after before the door was flung open.

Case grinned at me. "Mr. Continental Gold Medal winner!" He threw his hands in the air. "I have to say you killed them!"

Sitting up, I grinned.

"Where is the hardware?" He looked around. "You should have them on a plaque."

"Ha. Ha. I'm not creating a shrine to myself."

"Why not? If I ever win a Continental, hell, a National title, I'm making one for myself." He plopped down on the bed at my feet. "Your bed is always so soft. It's like a cloud."

I went and retrieved the plastic cases from my closet. I handed them to Case.

He quickly opened the container and lifted out the gold. "This is cool. It's so heavy. Can I take a picture? I want to send it to my brothers and remind them my best friend is cooler than all of theirs."