Chapter 38: Luncheon (Milo)

Luncheons were different than I imagined, but then again, I had never been to one before. The women had on flowing gowns and everyone looks quite pleasant, for being dominant werewolves. A human servant came by with a tray of small sandwiches.

I took one. "Thank you."

He nodded and continued on.

Axil and my mate were too busy talking about the meeting they had to go to later. It was the part that I was most nervous about. The majority of the werewolves around were still dominants.

Jedrek sat across from me poking at frosting he had scraped off a slice of cake. He didn't look happy to be here, but he rarely looked happy to do anything that involved making an appearance. I scooted around the table to the seat by his side. He glanced at me but kept playing with the white icing.

"I have something to tell you."

"Hmm..." replied Jed.

I leaned into his ear. "Collin and I are going to have a pup."

Jedrek dropped his fork and turned to me. "What?"

"We're having a pup, too."

His mouth fell open. "Really? That's great. You'll make a great dad. You can practice with Lincoln," laughed Jed. "Because I have no idea what the hell to do with a baby."

The two dominants were watching us.

"A pup?" said Axil. He faced my mate. "Why didn't you tell me? I tell you everything."

"I told Milo last night," muttered Collin. "My mate should know before my boss."

"I'm your beta."

"Milo is my mate," Collin said firmly. "And like I said, he gets to know first."

"I disagree—"

Jedrek leaned over as the dominants continued to argue. "Those two sound like they're mates sometimes."

I laughed. "Yeah, they do."

The argument ended when Axel's phone started to ring. He took it out of his robe pocket. "It's time. They're meeting inside and said we can leave our mates in the back garden."

"Or leave us here," muttered Jed. "It's not like we can go anywhere."

"Yeah, not happening. Let's go." Axil grabbed his mate's hand.

I looped arms with Collin and followed the pair. "How long will you be?"

"I don't know." He glanced down at me. "Do you want me to get someone to take you home?"

I shook my head. Being in a car with a strange dominant was the last thing I wanted. "I'll be okay."

"If you change your mind, let me know."

"We could both go home," said Jed.

"Stop asking," said the beta firmly. "You've been whining since the moment we got here. We'll go home together."

"But look at Milo." Jedrek tried to turn around. "The poor pup is exhausted. He could fall over any moment."

"The answer is no." Axil marched on, dragging Jed along.

Collin leaned down to my level. "You can go if you want."

"I'll stick it out a bit longer." I gave him a smile. "I want to talk to some of the other subs that are here."

Jedrek and I continued on into the garden while our mates walked to the mansion. Tables were spread out in the space with werewolves of different ranks spread out among them. I spotted Lette talking to a brown werewolf in the corner.