Chapter 24: Sugar Fight (Collin)

I never knew how bad things were along the pack border. Scratching my head, I shook my head at the reports on my desk. The rebel humans were creating such a mess. Midfield needs to step up their efforts.

Axil knocked on the door. "Hey, I brought you something from that mate of yours. He was a little upset when you didn't show up for lunch."

"I'm behind." I flipped to the next page.

He dropped the container on my desk and sat down. "What do you think?" He motioned to the pile of papers.

"They're targeting human-borns. I'm thanking god right now that Milo does know how to use a computer."

The beta nodded. "Jedrek wasn't very good at it but he was quick to figure it out."

"Your mate has adjusted to werewolf life a little too well."

Axil nodded, trying not to smile. "He's one of a kind."

"It seems like desperation. They can't get enough humans to join them so they trying to get werewolves to turn on their own kind."

"It's not that simple." Axil opened the container. "The one Jed fell for wasn't promoting killing werewolves. Their goal was to overthrow the alpha and free the humans. Equality for all. Jedrek is too naive to understand they were trying to capture him and then use him to get to me. Even after I explained it to him, he still doesn't believe it."

"You took a slave that wasn't raised properly as a mate. It has some drawbacks. Milo would never act like that. Hell, lower and middle ranks would never lash out at you the way that boy does."

"Something about that red fur," breathed Axil.

"Or you're simply unwilling to put the boy in his place. This"—I lifted up the report—"is terrifying to werewolves like us. They're coming for our mates and trying to get lower rank to fight with them. We need to stamp it out now before it gets any worse."

Axil tapped his claw on the armrest. "It's why I wanted you to work with me but someone kept refusing."

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't realize how pathetic you are at being beta or I might've come sooner."

"Watch it." Axil stood and took another cookie.

I snapped his hand. "Those are mine."

Axil stood with his mouth open. "You hit me."

Putting the lid back on the container, I put them out of sight. "Teach your mate how to cook. Jed is in desperate need for a hobby, anyways. Rotting away in front of the TV isn't healthy."

"He does other things when I'm home."

I scrunched up my nose. "Get out. I don't need to hear about your sex life."

"We do other things!" He held out his hand. "Give me one."

"No." I opened a file on my desktop. "Get out. I'm working. Something you should be doing as well."

Axil moved his hand closer. "I'm not going anywhere until you give me one."

"Drive your ass over to your apartment and get one," I replied.

"Do I have to order you as your beta to give me a damn cookie!?"

I gave him a smirk as people outside my office had stopped what they were doing. It was quite comical. Opening the container, I held one up and slapped it into his hand.

"Thank you," stated Axil, glaring at me. "That wasn't that hard."

"Until I tell Milo I don't like him baking for you anymore."