Chapter 3: Red (Jax)

The train traveled throughout the night. It had entered a tunnel at some point, so couldn't tell if it was morning. I had slept a little during the trip, mostly due to exhaustion. I was coming to accept my fate over the last few hours. Other packs saw humans like me as worthless. We couldn't do the work required of us, so it was most likely the end for me. I probably wouldn't have last much longer naturally anyways.

The doors slide to the side a female werewolf entered. "Alright, can we have everyone line up. We're going to make this as quick as possible and get you all back to your parents by the end of the day."

Everyone did so. I just laid there and stared at the ceiling. Would I ever see my parents again?

One by one, they each took their turn. The werewolves took their names and family number before directing the person either to the left or right. Most were going left. I had a feeling about what happened when you went right. Those were humans who had family members who defected.

My stomach started to growl. I should have eaten more yesterday.

The last human stepped off the train, and soon after the voices of children disappeared. Maybe they would just forget I was here, and I'd be allowed to go home by mistake. Heavy footsteps sounded on the metal floor, crushing that small amount of hope. The black werewolf searched the interior. His eyes landed on me.

"There's one left." He marched over. "Get up." The werewolf glanced at my legs and growled.

I kept my gaze pointed at my feet and flinched when his hand landed on top of my head.

"Red." He lifted up a piece of my hair. "Is it real or dyed?"

"Real," I said softly. "My father and brothers have it too."

"Mother's hair?"

"Blonde."

"Never know with human," he said under his breath, "Name."

"Jax Row, family 29506."

The werewolf typed in the information in on his tablet. "Your family has been flagged. According to this, they seem to be the cause of all this." He eyed me.

Swallowing hard, I nodded.

"It doesn't appear you had anything to do with it."

"No, Sir," I whispered.

"Didn't think so." The werewolf looked outside and motioned to another. He tossed her the tablet and carefully picked me up. "What wrong with you?"

I shrugged. "It's genetic. My muscles are deteriorating."

"Hmm..." He took me to the right like I knew would happen.

My heart rate started to pick up when the automatic door opened revealing a white room. Humans were lined up, waiting to have their blood drawn. Others were being moved into holding cells. The werewolf took me to the front of the line and sat me down on a table.

"Do him now, so I can I put him away."

I frowned at the comment. I didn't need put away. If they would find me a chair, I could do it myself.

The grey werewolf took my arm and cleaned an area. "Do you have his information?"

"Yes." The black werewolf typed it into the panel.

She sighed. "That's the family who caused this. The alpha is going to dispose of them aways."

My breath caught. Disposed, my parents too?

"I want it done. So do it."

She looked me over. "Yes, Sir."

The woman took out the needle, and I turned my head. A red stripe ran up the dominants back. This wasn't just a dominant of Midfield. Markings like that meant he was towards the top.