Chapter 14: Announcement (Jax)

I was struggling to remain calm. I wrung my hands in my lap and peered at the door. Just on the other side was the werewolf press. Strangely enough, I cared slightly what they were going to think of me. I was feeling better and had a lot more energy, but my legs needed a lot of work.

Taking a deep breath, I glanced at my parents who were talking with Max's parents. My mom had on a red dress with a gold jacket and diamond jewelry. My dad was also nicely dressed. It was weird to see them in such expensive looking clothes, but even more so to see werewolf wearing clothes. Alice had on a silk coat that drag on the ground and a diamond necklace of her own. While her mate wore a long black shirt and golden armbands. They looked rather exotic.

Swallowing hard, I sank into the couch.

Ricky was sitting on the other side and nudged my arm. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. "Just nervous."

"I don't think you have to do anything. Max will be doing all of the talking."

"I know, it's"—I motioned to my legs—"I don't know what they're going to say. Max is the next alpha, and I don't really look like alpha mate material."

Ricky gave me a grin. "Our blood says differently, and I'm sure those people know that." He grabbed my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "We'll get you back on your feet. Don't worry."

Bowing my head, I smiled to myself. I hoped so. I really did.

The side door opened, and the alpha and Max entered. They wore outfits similar to Max's dad. My mate had an additional thick golden necklace on. This was a completely different side to werewolf I had never seen before. Andreas went to talk to the parents while Max came and knelt in front of me.

"Ready?"

I shrugged. "I don't have to do anything, right?"

"I'll handle it." He grabbed my hand.

I touched his wristband. "What is all of this?"

"Formalwear. After the war, they brought back some of our old traditions that had died out when we started to hide among the humans." He smiled at me and cupped my cheek. "If you turned out like I'm thinking, there is some beautiful black jewelry that's going to look great on you."

Swallowing hard, I stared. It was just confirmed: I was not ready for this.

"Alright," announced Andreas to the room. "I'll go out and introduce you." He marched across the room, gave an approving nod to Max, and stepped out to meet the press.

My heart rate picked up when the noise increased. Max slipped his arms around me and picked me up. I put my arms around his neck as the other fell in line behind us. We stood at the door awaiting the announcement.

"Our parents seem to be getting along," Max whispered.

I nodded. "Yeah."

He laughed softly. "You're already my mate, Jax. Nothing those people say can change the fact I've already claimed you."

Peering into his eyes, I felt a little better. My stomach was still turning, but it wasn't like I was going to be tossed to the side if things went poorly. Werewolves mated for life, and there was no possible way I'd ever be able to escape an alpha. I peered over Max's shoulder to see my family smiling and laughing with Alice and Lorenzo. Not that I was thinking of trying to escape.

***

(Jed)

I let out a hiss as I lifted a crate off the end of the truck bed. My back throbbed as I carried it to the pile. I set it down and leaned over it. My energy might have returned, but the scars still ached.