Chapter 18: First Moon (Jax)

I was startled when Max stepped away from the wall. Was this it? My body felt weird, but that might've been because I was so aware of it.

"Are we ready for this?" The alpha put his hand on Max's shoulder.

My mate nodded and let out a sigh. "Excited, but nervous."

"He'll be perfect either way." Andres tasseled my hair as he descended the stairs to the center platform. The room fell still. "Welcome"—he held his arms in the air—"it has been too long since we've been able to gather together as a family. I hope you all enjoy your stay here in Midfield, but for now..." He held out his hand toward Max.

"Ready?" he whispered.

I nodded since my mouth was too dry to say anything.

Max walked down the stairs.

Andreas gave us a content smile. "We have been blessed with this young man who my nephew has chosen as a mate. And I speak for my sister, Max, and myself that we are so happy to get to share with you this moment. Max." He motioned to the circle on the floor that the I hadn't noticed before that the tile pattern radiated around.

I heard a bang and tightened my hold on Max. Looking at the ceiling, I saw a large panel slide out of the way. Part of the moon could already be seen. "Oh god."

"It's okay. In a few minutes, it'll be over." Max knelt and placed me on the floor.

I struggled to keep myself somewhat hidden. I was too embarrassed to look at the crowd that had moved in around us. Some had even gone up on the stairs to have a better view.

Max placed a silk blanket over my legs and cupped my cheek. "I'm right here." His hand fell away, and he scooted back.

My body was shaking. I couldn't tell if this was part of the process or if I was just close to having a panic attack. I laid down on my side and peered up at the night sky. Closing my eyes, I told myself it would be okay. Becoming a werewolf had saved my life and would fix my legs. I'd be okay.

Peeking at the opening, I saw the full moon shining brightly overhead. My breath caught and a hushed whisper spread through the room. I cried out and clasped my chest. An energy was starting to burn deep inside me. Another wave hit me, and I scratched my nails along the tile. Pain struck, and I turned onto my back. I arched into the air as I screamed from the intense pressure racing across my skin. My eyes started to water as my face began to morph. Fur forced its way out of my pores.

My cries turned to howls. Bones and muscle were being distorted and elongated. Claws emerged from my fingers. I gazed above me at the night sky and watched the moon started to move out of sight.

I prayed to any god or holy spirit that was listening that it was over. It had been the worst experience of my life, and I never wanted to have that happen to me again. Someone started to clap and others joined in. I was instantly pissed. My pain shouldn't be used for some stranger's entertainment, but I was too tired to do much about it.

Max moved forward and sat me up. "You're beautiful, perfect." He nuzzled my cheek.

I peered down at the white fur covering my arms.

"I knew there'd be red." He kissed my forehead.

"It hurts," I whispered. My jaw was aching.

Nodding, Max scooped up and made no attempt to hide my body this time. "My mate, Jax has turned into a stunning werewolf."

His parents came forward. Lorenzo put his arm around his son's shoulder while Alice fond over me.

"The pack is going to die when they see him. Oh, Jax, you're gorgeous." She brushed back my head fur.