Chapter 21: Price of a Mate (Jax)

I picked at my food, still feeling a little upset. Max rubbed my back occasionally as the conversation turned to reminiscing about each alphas' glory days. It was hard to remember who was the father of who and which alpha came before another. After this was over, I'd have to study a bit more.

Trevor leaned back in his seat and pointed his finger at Axil as he was passing by to return to the table beside ours. "You." He motioned for him to come closer.

Axil wandered over, looking rather unimpressed by being summoned by the old alpha. "Do you need something?"

"Don't get smart with me. I may be retired, but I know what you've been up to. You better start listening to Andreas. Our pack isn't some playground for you to have some fun."

"Like I said earlier, I never went on Midfield ground. It was free-range rebel territory. I'm allowed on it just like everyone else." Axil folded his arms.

Trevor gave him a sideways look. "If I was 100 years younger, I'd kick your ass right now."

Axil smiled to himself. "I think you're getting forgetful in your old age, Trevor."

"Your alpha is going to hear from me."

"Yeah, I don't think he'll care." Axil chewed on his claw. "After the whole mate stealing thing back when you were in charge, the alpha line doesn't really like you all that much."

Trevor breathed out through his nose. "It's hard to believe I let my granddaughter mate a Wolfsbane," he muttered.

Alice forced a smile. "They think a little differently that's all." She grabbed her mate's hand.

A dark gray werewolf jogged through the crowd. "Axil! Here, something happened to the convoy." He handed him the phone.

"Yes," said Axil.

The hair running along the black werewolf back stood on end. I leaned into Max and hid my face in his arm as the Axil's anger rose.

"Damn it!" He crushed the phone in his hand. "Pull the car around. We're leaving."

The gray werewolf ran off to do as he was told.

"Axil," stated Andreas. "Axil, what have you done?"

"Nothing." He turned to leave.

The alpha hurried around the table and grabbed the beta's arm. "What did you do in the south?"

"It doesn't concern you." Axil went to brush Andreas off him, but the alpha refused to let go.

"What did you do?"

Axil's eyes landed on me. "I know how good the pup's blood is. Did you really think I wasn't going to try and get a piece of that for myself?"

The alpha's muzzle fell open. "Axil, you didn't?"

Jerking his arm free, Axil took a step back. "Well, Maxie, I didn't want to take away from your big day, but I found the boy's brother, and he has my mark."

"Jed," I breathed. "No, leave him alone." I tried to stand but only succeeded in falling off my chair.

Max grabbed me before I hit the ground. Standing, he scooped me up in his arms.

"Stop him," I begged. "Stop him. Tell him to leave Jed alone."

"He's mine," stated Axil. "He bears my mark. So if any of you try and kill him, well let's just say after what you did to my grandfather and stealing his mate, I don't think the alpha line will be very kind to you. Like you said, we may be at peace now, but that can easily change." He nodded to the table of alphas. "It's been great. Jax turned into a beautiful werewolf. I'm happy for you Max. I'll be sure to invite you all to Jed's. I have a feeling his will be just as good." Axil hurried off toward the mansion.