Chapter 35: Avenge Me

"What do you all want?" asked the alpha. He opened the alcohol cabinet. "Rudy, Drake, water only." He grabbed two bottles and tossed them to us. "Few more years and then I'll mix you something good."

I unscrewed the cap. The family was settling into the study after dinner. I felt something touch my leg. The little black and red pup grinned at me with his tail wagging.

"Oh, sorry, Rudy," said Jax. "Connor, come here." The sub motioned for his son.

The pup didn't listen and pulled on my sweats.

"It's okay." I picked him up and set him on the couch between my brother and me.

Connor looked thrilled to get to sit with the big kids. The alpha carried around the tray with everyone's drink.

Conner stood and reached out his hand. "Me, me."

We laughed.

"You're too young for the good stuff, pup," chuckled the alpha.

Jax dug through his bag and handed Max a sippy cup. He tried to give it to his son, but Connor wasn't having it.

"No, no." He reached for the alpha. "Juice."

Andreas took the cup and went to the bar. He pretended to make something before bringing it over. "Here you go, pup."

Connor snatched it and plopped down beside me. He leaned against my side.

"He really likes Rudy," said my grandpa.

Max motioned to me. "It's because the moment I leave for work, Jax takes them to his parent's house, and they're human or in human form." He eyed his mate. "Grandma tends to spoil the boy. Connor already has a sweet tooth. At this rate, all his baby teeth are going to rot. Will have to get his fangs pulled."

Jax scoffed, sitting across from me, currently in human form. "It's not that bad. Besides, he's half-human."

"Chocolate." Andrea's face scrunched up. "I'll never understand the appeal."

"More for the rest of it," muttered Jax.

I smiled to myself. I agree with that. Connor offered me his sippy cup.

"No, thanks," I chuckled. "You better drink it."

"So, Rudy." Max grinned at me. "I heard you are going to be representing Midfield at the junior Contentials. That's a pretty big deal."

I took a deep breath. "I qualified, at least. There's no guarantee I will."

"You have a great chance." My grandpa lifted a finger as he finished off his glass.

"Wolfsbane, it'll be your first time there," said Max.

I nodded. "Grandpa is going with me." I glanced at my dad.

"You will not leave his side, got it?" said my father.

Drake chuckled. "How much do you want to bet extra security is going to?" he whispered to me. "You might as well be in Midfield."

I groaned. "I know the rules. I just want to compete. Everyone needs to calm down."

"The football team hasn't won National in a while," said Drake. "It's hard to beat those country academies."

"You got a good shot with this up-and-coming team," said the alpha. "Tons of talent."

I screwed the cap on the water bottle. Connor took it from me and started shaking it. The topic changed to football, and I started to zone out. It was the sport they all played and watched, so I didn't mind. Swimming would never be that popular, but I had fallen in love with it. I was nervous and excited to see how well I did when up against the best swimmers of the surrounding packs.