Chapter 9: Hide and Seek (Milo)

"Oh, Milo!"

I sat up straight.

"Milo," called another girl's voice. "Where are you?"

Not again. I jumped up, grabbed my bucket, and searched for the quickest place to hide. After lowering the bucket behind it, I slipped behind a cabinet and curled into a ball. I peeked between the wall and the side. Why wouldn't they leave me alone? The door opened. Miss Arianna and her friends entered the room.

"We'd he go?" asked Halley. The light brown werewolf let out a huff. "I can't stay that long today. My sister might already be on her way here."

"Maybe she'll let you stay longer and we can take you home. Milo has to be around here somewhere," said Ari. "I can smell him. Milo," she called while walking around the furniture. "Come on, Milo. We just wanted to try a makeup video on you. It won't be that bad."

I closed my eyes tightly. Hopefully, enough of my scent had been left around the mansion that she wouldn't be able to track down my exact location.

"Milo, come on out."

"Why isn't he minding you?" said Halley.

"My stupid brother," muttered Arianna, shaking her head. "He practically told Milo that he didn't have to do as I say. Milo is too scared not to mind me, so he hides. It took me two hours to find him last time."

"Halley," called Collin. The black werewolf stepped into the room. "Your sister just pulled up. She's here to take you home."

She groaned. "Would you tell your humans to stop hiding? We ran out of time because of him." She marched to the door. "You can't do the tutorial without me. I'm the one that wanted to do it in the first place." She left the room.

Arianna wouldn't look at her brother. Her friend was inching toward the door as the young master eyed the two girls.

"What have I said?" Collin folded his arms. "Leave Milo alone."

Arianna groaned. "It's not fair. You're practically hogging him. I should get to play with the slave, too."

"We're not playing," stated Collin. "He cleans my office. Milo has work to do and you tend to keep him from it. Now go upstairs and do your homework."

"You're so annoying. Come on." Miss Arianna waved to her friends to follow and the two girls hurried off.

Collin sniffed the air. I bowed my head. I didn't really want him to find me like this, either. He scanned the room and his eyes stopped at the wet patch on the wood floor. He went to it and walked around the couch and straight to my hiding space. He peered over the top and smiled down at me.

"How'd you fit back there?"

I shrugged.

"You got the bucket in there two without spilling." He moved the cabinet to make more room.

Climbing to my feet, I grabbed the bucket and shuffled out. I could feel his eyes on me but kept my head bowed.

"You can say no to her. I've talked to my mom and Arianna. They both know how I feel about Ari keeping you from getting your work done."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "It's hard." I scratched my arm. "She doesn't do anything bad to me so it seems wrong to tell her no, sir."

Collin patted my head. He made me feel like a pup when he did that.

"Are you done?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Well, go put the bucket away and head up to my office. I'll meet you there."