Chapter 35: Family Dinner (Jed)

The door opened and a black werewolf with a mixture of brown and gray markings appeared. "Axil." She pulled the big beta to her and kissed his cheek.

"Hi, mom."

"This must be him." She smiled at me. "Hi Jedrek. I'm Tracy, Axil's mother."

"Hi."

She looked between us. "Well, come in. You're the last to arrive."

"Sorry about that." Axil pulled me into the house. "Jed just shifted back and wasn't feeling the greatest." He took off his robe and handed it to a human.

I pulled the one around me closer to my face. It had been an ordeal to get one that wasn't huge and had buttons on the front. Having to come barefoot had been bad enough.

Tracy looked me over as the servants hovered nearby. "I'm guessing having him naked might make him feel weird?"

"He's fine like this." He took me by my upper arm and led me through the house to the dining room.

A long table ran down the center of the room. Werewolves of different sizes and fur colors were scattered around it. I recognized a few.

Jet sat at the head. "Back to human."

Axil laughed hesitantly. "Yes, it's been an ordeal. It's why we're late."

It was half true. I simply refused to be paraded around naked or with the possibility of flashing everyone on a recurring basis. Axil pulled out a chair and placed me in it. I sat down and stared at the table. It was going to be a long night.

Humans started to bring out the food and stood along the wall to refill glasses. I wasn't hungry. I wasn't thirsty, I just wanted to go home, and that didn't mean Axil's shitty apartment. They started talking while I poked at my food. It smelt good, but I felt horrible. Things were not back to normal. I was happy to be human again, though.

Axil nudged my arm.

I glanced at him.

He nodded toward my plate.

I shook my head and sunk down in my chair.

"Eat," he whispered. "Don't make a scene."

"I'm not hungry."

"How can you not be hungry? You've barely eaten all day. The last couple weeks you've only picked at your food."

"I don't feel good," I stated. "I've felt like shit for weeks, and eating makes it worse."

Someone cleared their throat. I glanced across the table at Axil's mother.

"Is something wrong?" She lifted her glass.

Everyone's attention landed on me. If this turned out bad, Axil was partially at fault.

"He's still not feeling good," said the beta.

"I could have one of the humans show him into the study. If he wants to lay down, they could bring him one of the guest rooms as well."

Axil glanced at me.

I shrugged. "The study is fine."

She smiled and waved at one of the men by the wall. "Show him to the study and make sure he's comfortable."

"Yes, ma'am." He walked to the door and waited for me to follow.

I stood.

Axil grabbed my arm and yanked me to him. "Don't be wandering around."

"I know. You already told me this." I pulled away and headed for the door.

He didn't want to make a scene, yet he was doing just that. I folded the man in the tux to a dimly lit room with plenty of liquor filling the cabinets.