Chapter 9: Lady Luck (Jax)

It was like sleeping on clouds. I didn't know they made beds this soft. Pulling the blanket to my chin, I started to drift back to sleep. I could stay like this forever.

Something moved next to me, and I was wide awake. Yesterday's events started zipping through my head. I was in the next alpha's bed, who was planning on mating with me at any moment. This was not an ideal situation for someone who couldn't even walk.

Max sat up and swung his feet out of bed. Stretching his arms out, he groaned. I laid there as still as possible. This was too weird. The werewolf stood and wandered off to the bathroom. I slowly lifted myself up and leaned against the headboard. Water sounded and soon after Max returned wearing a long silk robe that dragged the ground. He sat on the bed by my feet.

"How are you feeling?" He looked me over and pressed the back of his hand to my face.

"No different than usual." I leaned away from his touch.

"Still, you worry me." He stood and left through a side door.

I heard him talking to someone. My eyes landed on the bathroom door. Having a wheelchair would make life so much simpler for everyone. Slumping over, I'd hold it until he was done with whatever successors did in the morning.

A knocked sounded, and I froze. I pulled the blanket further up.

Max came out of the room. "Yes?"

The door opened, and the alpha entered. "Good morning. I came to see if any progress was made."

Max stood at the side of the bed. "He was a bit overwhelmed. I'm going to do it tonight." He ran a hand through my hair until landed on my shoulder.

It made me shiver.

"Don't be putting this off." Andreas lifted a clawed finger. "He could go downhill fast."

Swallowing hard, I stared at my lap.

"Tonight, I'll do it. I think it's best if he's rest until then." He looked to the alpha. "So I hope you haven't scheduled anything."

"Not yet." Andreas turned to leave. "The press has found out you've decided on a mate. You'll need to make a statement, but we can wait until you've mated before the boy makes an appearance."

"Sounds good. I'll be heading to the office in an hour or so. I can make a statement there. Just let me now the time."

The alpha nodded. "Who are you having watch him?"

"I just spoke to Clark."

I scoffed at the comment. That horrible werewolf, I didn't want him anywhere near me.

Andreas lifted a brow.

Max rubbed my arm. "Their last meeting wasn't the best. He's coming to do some tutoring. Jax is a bit behind on his werewolf etiquette."

"Be sure Jax doesn't embarrass our family. He's your mate. His actions reflect on you directly."

Max nodded. "I will make sure he know his place."

The door closed behind the alpha, and I glared at the corner of the room. My place? I shook my head. Once I was a werewolf, I'd show him my place. I might turn out to be an omega, but Max would be my mate. He better prepare himself, because I was already planning on giving the almighty Successor hell for the rest of our miserable lives.

***

(Jed)

The trucks returned to the base. I climbed out watched as they dragged the werewolf carcass from the back. I swallowed hard and fixed my grip on the gun in my hand. A bullet hole sat in the center of the dog's head. That was the luckiest shot of my life.

Hide walked through the group. Coyote brought over a tin and placed it under the werewolf's head as Hide cut along its jaw. Blood oozed out. I looked away and let out a deep breath. They dug around until they carefully removed all of the spit glands. This was too much. I ducked back into the crowd and went to stand by the hood of the truck.

Some of the hunters had followed us back to base. They were covered in camouflage and had every bit of visible skin painted. Not to mention they smiled like deer piss. They were kind of a miserable bunch to be around.

Cat spotted me and wandered over. She leaned back against the vehicle and folded her arms. We stood there for a few minutes in silence.

"Pretty good shot."

I shrugged. "Luck. So much luck." I ran a hand down my face.

"Still," she glanced at me. "My record might be as risk if you keep this up."

"You can keep it. I don't want to be called Cat."

She laughed. "We'll call you pussy instead." She gave me a smirk before going over to talk to the hunters.

Shaking my head, I smiled to myself. I'd keep Red.

Pix sneaked over to me. "Everyone says you killed it."

I nodded. "Adrenaline rush."

She scratched at her ear. "How'd you learn to shoot? It's hard to kill werewolves, and it seems so easy for you."

Licking my lips, I peered over my shoulder. "I don't know. I shoot better when I'm stressed. My brother and I had slingshots growing up. Whatever game we were playing, he'd always be beating me until the end. I guess I just need that pressure or I shoot like shit, because before that thing showed up, I couldn't hit a damn can off a log."

With a sigh, Pix rested her elbow on the truck and peered off at the group. "I want to go. I want to kill a werewolf. I've been here for years, and Hide will never give me a chance. He says he not into sending people who don't stand a chance off to get slaughter." Slinking lower, she rested her chin on the hood. "I practice every day. I can shoot. I'm not the best out there, but I know how to work a gun better than most."

"Maybe you just have to show some initiative."

"Like what?" She gave me an annoyed look.

I didn't really know myself. Swallowing hard, I looked around. "Next time we go out, just say you're going."

Pix scoffed. "Yeah, I'll be scrubbing toilets for the rest of my life. Great idea, Red." She pushed off the truck and wandered off.

Cat waved to the hunters who started out the door. She came back to me and held out her hand. "Gun."

I took it off and gave it to her.

"Be careful, Red." She stated as she checked the chamber. "The hunters might recruit you."

"Not interested," I breathed. "I prefer to keep my sanity intact and not smell like deer piss."

Cat laughed. "It is not a scent I miss. That's for sure." She bumped my arm as she passed. "Good job today, Red. If your back starts hurting, come find me."

Nodding, I reached over my shoulder. My shirt was destroyed, and I didn't really know where to find a new one. Clothing didn't seem to be surplus around here by the looks of everyone.

I crossed the hangar to the bathroom. Turning around, I grimaced at the state of my back. It looked horrible. Bright red scars ran down it. The pain was gone, and that cream had also numbed the cuts. Taking off my shirt, I tossed it in the sink. I turned on the water and did my best to get some of the blood out. It was making my stomach slightly queasy to see the water turn red with my blood.

I wrung it out once the water had started to clear up. I put my hands through the holes in the back. This was the real deal. I had a superior species out there trying to kill me. From now on, I'd be praying to god for luck, because the moment I lost that, I was as good as dead.