Chapter 40: Big Brother (Jed)

Jax had turned into a perfect werewolf. A sub that any dominant would be happy to call theirs. Through the people, I watched my family be the first to greet my brother. They looked so happy. I hope they didn't find out I was here.

"Do you want to go up?" asked Axil.

I shook my head. "I want to leave."

"We have to pay our respects at least." He put his arm around my shoulders. "They'll notice if we don't and we don't need anything else for those women on the talk shows to gossip about."

I sucked in my lips.

"I know you'd be sneaking out and watching them," stated Axil. "You're never alone. I always have some of my bodyguards stay behind to watch the humans and that includes you."

With a shrug, I looked at my feet. "They tell me more than you ever do."

"Whatever, let's go." He grabbed my arm.

I pulled back. "Later, please. When there are less people?"

Axil groaned. "Fine. Come with me."

We crossed the room and went into an adjacent one with a large banquet table set in the middle of the area.

"Are you hungry?"

I shook my head and sat down at the nearest table. "I'm too nervous to eat anything."

Axil sunk into the chair beside me. "You are so sensitive."

I glared at him. "I wasn't like this until you came around. Now my body immediately wants to throw up every time I get stressed. It's your fault."

"Sir, would you like one?" asked a servant carrying a tray.

Axil took the entire platter of meat skewers. "We'll take them all." He put them on the table and started eating. He was making it pretty apparent that he was annoyed with me.

"Drinks, sir?" Another servant offered a tray.

"How strong is it?" asked Axil.

"50%."

"Great." He took two glasses and then grabbed two more. "None for him."

"We have human-level drinks."

"Nope." The werewolf dismissed the servant with s flick of his hand.

I just sat there as Axil drank and ate. "I get you're frustrated with me, but I'm not ready to face them."

"I don't give a damn about whether you get along with your family or not." He slapped his fingers at a human. "Get me a bottle. Now."

They flinched before hurrying off to do so.

Axil finished his last drink. "You're apart of Wolfsbane. You'll rarely if ever are going to see them. Right now, I just want to tell Maxie, congrats so I can go home. He chose the worst time to have this little party." He rubbed his brow. "Where is that damn human?" He scanned the room.

Soon after, the servant returned and put the bottle on the table. "Here you are, sir." They bowed and slowly backed away.

Axil ignored him and ripped out the cork with his claw. He didn't even bother with the glass. He took a swig and looked at the label. "30%. Idiot."

"Is work that bad right now?"

He arched a brow. "Judah is punishing me because of you. Every little thing he passes on to me to take care of and it's not going to stop until we're mated."

I clenched my jaw. I wasn't going to do anything to change that.

"Jed!"

I sat up straight at the familiar voice. Ricky? Was it really him? I rose from my seat as my twin hurried across the room. He hugged me, catching me off guard. I slowly put my arms around him too.