Chapter 32: Crib (Milo)

Collin opened the door to the beta's apartment and kissed my cheek. "I'll see you tonight."

"Bye."

He smoothed back my head fur. "I can take you to your mom's house if you want?"

I shook my head. "Jed would be alone."

"Alright. Call me if you need anything." Collin waved as we went back to the elevator.

I entered the apartment and closed the door. Jed was standing in the kitchen as Axil finished his breakfast. I wandered over to the couple.

"Hey, Milo. Collin didn't bother on waiting for me," said Axil.

"No, he said he didn't want to be late."

The beta chuckled. "I best be going then." He gave the human a peck on the cheek. "I'm trusting you with the computer. Only look up things for the baby. Your internet history will be monitored even if you go in and delete it."

"I'm not a child," muttered Jed.

"Watch him for me, Milo."

Jed scoffed.

I gave the beta a small smile. "Yes, sir."

He patted my head between my ears as he passed. "Have a good day. I'll be back tonight." The beta left the apartment and the lock clicked into place.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Jedrek leaned against the counter. "It's only a matter of time now. My son will be born and things around here are really going to change."

"Maybe it'll help." I started to clean up the kitchen.

"With what?" Jed took the milk carton from me. "You don't need to clean. The servants get weird when they have nothing to do."

"I thought I might bake something later."

"The kitchen will be clean by then." He put the carton down. "What will it help with?"

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I picked at the fur on my arm. "Adjusting."

"Adjusting?"

"To being with Axil."

"Adjusting to being with Axil? So you've seen us fight a few times and suddenly I'm not well adjusted to my own mate? That's news to me."

"I didn't mean it like that." I bowed my head.

Jed put his hands on his hips and shook his head. "This is hard for me. Having this mark on my shoulder will always be hard for me. I'm not like you or other humans. I fought for the rebellion. I was forced and threatened into being Axil's mate."

"Why did you, then?" I glanced at him. "If you hated it so much, why did you agree to be the beta's mate?"

Jedrek folded his arms and was silent for a moment. "A moment of weakness. My parents were ready to disown me. I thought saying yes to Axil might save what little relationship I had with them. It sucks, though. They barely even contact me. I know they're apart of another pack, but it's not like phone calls are forbidden."

"I'm sorry. It must be hard to see me with my family when yours are so far away."

"Milo," he sighed. "Come here." He wrapped his arms me. "I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I got mad at Axil for bringing up baby issues this morning and now I'm taking it out on you."

"Do you love him?" I met his gaze. "Even just a little bit."

Jed sighed. "A little bit, maybe." He sucked in his cheek. "Axil is the only one I have right now. My family is in Midfield. My in-laws aren't my biggest fans but Axil"—he nodded—"he's always on my side."