Chapter 9: Shift

I opened the door to the mansion playroom. The boys took off to play on the fake rocks and run through the tunnels. With a sigh, I wandered over to a large beanbag and slumped into it.

Rudy climbed onto the largest rock and started howling. "Look, Dad, I'm a wolf! I'm the alpha of the pack."

"Really, who's your beta?"

"Drake, because he's littler than me."

The black pup was struggling to climb up the rock.

"Just be careful."

"I'm protecting the pack." He puffed out his chest.

"I think a rogue is attacking the cave."

Rudy's eyes grew wide. "Oh, no. Drake, go to the cave." He hurried down the slide and ran to one of the tunnels. "Drake! Hurry! The rogues are here." He pretended to slash at the invisible enemies with his claws.

Drake eventually made it back down the rock and hurried over. He stood by his brother and watched him fight off the rogues. I rubbed my muzzle. I had been avoiding this day. Teaching pups how to shift could be super easy or the most frustrating thing. They either got it, or they didn't, and I was worried that Rudy would be the harder of the two.

The door opened, and Max poked his head into the room.

"Max! Max, the rogues." Rudy ran over. "Come and help. But I'm alpha." He held up a finger."

Max chuckled. "Sure thing."

Rudy grabbed his cousin's hand and dragged him over to the cave.

"My uncle sent me to get you. He's in his office. I'll watch the boys while you're gone."

Nodding, I stood with a groan. "Do me a favor and teach Rudy how to shift."

Max grinned. "I heard you came by so Andreas could help."

"Teach me." Rudy peered up at Max. "Please, teach me to be covered in fur. I want to. I want fur like you. Please."

Max sighed. "Alright, let's give it a go." He turned to me. "Hurry back."

"Will do." I left the room and walked down the hall. I was hoping to see two furry little pups when I came back.

I arrived at the alpha's office and knocked.

"Come in."

Opening the door, I stepped inside. Hector was sitting on the couches with Andreas behind his desk, shuffling through papers.

"Hector, came to check up on him?"

Andreas scoffed. "Don't start."

"Where are the boys?" Hector turned in his seat.

"I left them with Max. We'll see if the future alpha can get that Rudy to shift."

"Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise," said Hector. "That pup deserves to be able to see his true form. He's a werewolf. It doesn't matter what form he was born in."

I walked to the couch and fell into it. "Hopefully, one day, it happens. I've caught him a couple of times trying to shift." I rested my head against my fist. "It crushes my spirits as a parent that I can't do a damn thing to help him."

"Well, what are we waiting for." Hector rose to his feet. "Max doesn't know what to do."

"I'm almost done," said Andreas. "Give me a few more minutes, and then we can go."

"I don't need you. I taught you how to shift." The retired alpha marched from the room.

Andreas shook his head. "He's getting more stubborn with every passing year."