Chapter 45: The Decision

"Rudy?"

I glanced up at the teacher.

"The alpha wants to see you." She held a note in her hand, and a man was waiting in the hall.

Some of the boys next to me gave me weird looks. I hadn't done anything to get in trouble, so I wasn't too worried about it. I gathered my things and went into the hall.

"Did he say what he needed?" I asked.

The man shrugged. "He's on-campus and wanted me to get you."

That wasn't much information to go off. This had happened a couple of times before, but I had an idea of what he wanted then. I followed the guard to the parking lot, and we drove up the sub-campus. A group of them were outside playing soccer.

The man cleared his throat. "Don't be wandering off."

"Subs aren't for me."

He laughed. "We all say that until you meet the right one."

"Is your mate a sub?" I asked.

The guard nodded. "Only dated girls until I met him at college and knew he was the one for me." He stopped the car at the front door. "You know the way, right?"

"Unfortunately," I said with a sigh. "It's not my first time here."

He chuckled. "I'll be here. You can leave your bag."

"Sounds good." I climbed out and closed the door.

Hopefully, this was quick. I needed to get to the pool and get in my laps to count for p.e. Entering the building, I watched the subs respond to a dominant being on their campus. I could never get used to all the blond hair. I headed to the second floor, with whispering coming from behind me. I walked down the hall to my uncle's secretary. She was at her desk, typing on her computer.

"Rudy," she said, not looking up. "Take a seat, and I will let him know you are here."

"Did he say why?" I leaned on the counter above her.

"No, just that it was urgent."

"Urgent? No one died, right?"

She glanced at me. "In your family? No, the whole pack would know about it."

"True." I took a deep breath and went to the seats by the wall. Sitting, I bounced my leg. I know I didn't do anything wrong but being called by the alpha was a little nerve-wracking.

The office door parted soon after.

"Rudy," said Andreas. "Come on in."

His usual enthusiasm was missing. Had someone died? Did I do something wrong? I shuffled inside.

"So, um... why'd you call me here?"

Closing the doors, he faced me. "Let's sit down." He motioned to the couches positioned across from each other. A yellow folder was sitting on the coffee table between them.

I did so and wrung my hands together. "Is it something bad? You're making me nervous."

Andreas shook his head and sat across from me. "No, depending on your point of view, it might be exciting." He forced a smile. "The biggest moment of your life. A new and exciting adventure even."

I sat very still. He didn't sound convincing.

My uncle sighed and pulled the folder to him. My heart was pounding.

"What is it?" I asked. "Please tell me. I'm not being demoted, right? I don't even have a rank."

The alpha shook his head. "It's kind of a promotion." He took out a piece of paper and slid it to me. My breath caught.