Chapter 6: Three Seconds (Collin)

Returning to the dining room, I went back to my seat and let out a huff. What the hell was that? Harvest was stressing him out. She would have found out the truth when she came to report the incident to me. Leaning over the table, I ran my hand through my head fur.

I smiled to myself. Milo was probably scared out his mind sitting up in my office. I was kind of interested to see what he would do all by himself. Maybe there was a mischievous pup in there somewhere. Hell no, the boy wouldn't even look me in the eye. He most likely was huddled in the corner.

Shaking my head, I tried to focus on the crop prices. They weren't as good this year. It was pretty depressing. All this work and we weren't going to make nearly as much of a profit. I might just have to settle with selling to Northern Ridge. That was a decision for another day. I clicked out of that screen and my claw tapped on the slave information app.

"Stop it," I muttered under my breath.

Now was the time to focus on work, not some scrawny slave. I couldn't even use him in the fields with those stick arms. Milo was cute, though, like a lost pup. He reminded me of some of the traditional boys back at school. Traditional knew how to act around those who were higher ranked, unlike civils.

Cursing under my breath, I laid my head on the table. My mother was getting to me that was it.

"Julie!"

I heard some clanking coming from the kitchen before she shuffled out of the door.

"Yes, sir."

"Make me something as well with a few snacks and take it to my office. I can't focus down here."

"Of course, sir. I'll have it up to you right away." She disappeared into the kitchen.

With a groan, I stood. Running this farm was making me old. I was too young to have this much responsibility. Dragging myself to the stairs, I made my way up them. I should have told my dad no when he asked if I'd take over the farm for him. Working for the alpha was any werewolf's dream, but the man had a family. Not that he cared when he was here.

Reaching my office, I stared at the door handle as a smile played on my lips. Just hours ago, I had yelled at Ari for teasing the poor boy and now I was doing the same thing. I opened the door and found Milo exactly where I expected. He was sitting in the corner with his arms wrapped around his legs. The human quickly moved to his knees and bowed his head.

Going to the couch in front of the fireplace, I sat down and rested my arm along the back. "Have they fed you?"

Milo shook his head. "No, sir."

"They should have the food here soon."

He gripped his knees. What had his last master done to make this boy so skittish? I wasn't going to eat him. There was a knock on the door soon after.

"Come in."

A slave entered with a tray.

"Put it on the coffee table and then you can go."

She did so and hurried from the room. Milo was eyeing the tray. I knew the boy was practically starving. If he had been a werewolf, Milo would have run out of gas a long time ago. I leaned over my knees and grabbed one of the sandwiches layered with meat. I took a bite and glanced at the human in the corner. Milo quickly snapped his gaze down.

It was hard to resist the urge not to tease him.

"Hungry?"

Milo swallowed hard. "Yes, sir."