Chapter 36: All Together (Jax)

My mother squealed with delight and threw her hands around my neck. "Oh, Jax. Look at you." She cupped my cheek. "You're standing all by yourself. I'm getting used to all this fur too," she laughed. "Hello, Max."

The werewolf nodded. "Hi, sorry we haven't been coming around lately. I've been really busy."

"Max"—she arched a brow—"you're learning how to run a pack. We all understand. Now come in. I haven't put lunch away if you're hungry." She waved us inside.

I shuffled in and was careful of the door frame.

"Maggie is in the living room watching TV. I'll go tell your father that you're here."

We wandered through the house.

My sister perked up in the armchair in the corner. "Jax, are you walking all by yourself?"

I waved. "Hi. How have you been?"

"Great. I like my school. I'm on the track team."

"That's awesome." I sat down on the couch to give my legs a rest. Max sunk into the spot next to me and put his arm along the back of the couch.

"So have you gotten used to being covered in hair?"

I shrugged. "The mansion is always freezing, so it's been kind of nice." I looked around. "Where's Ricky?"

"Outside with dad. They were doing some gardening. Ella's here too."

"Ella? That's Ricky's fiance, right?"

Maggie nodded. "She's super nice. I really like her. She's been helping me with my starts. She did track in high school too." She leaned forward. "So how's putting up with my brother been?"

I scoffed at the comment. "Like I'm that hard to be around."

"It's been great." He kissed the side of my head.

Maggie scrunched up her face. "You guys are in the mushy-gushy couple phase, right?"

Max grinned at my sister as he laid his head on my shoulder. "Just a little bit."

"Stop it." I pushed him away.

Wrapping his arms around me, Max gave a husky growl.

"Hmm..." Maggie stood. "I think I'll go see if mom needs help with anything."

The moment she was gone, I elbowed Max in the ribs.

He cursed under his breath. "God, Jax."

"Don't embarrass me in front of my family."

Max started to laugh.

"It goes both ways," I stated. "I can't be weird in front of yours so you can't be weird with mine."

He grinned at me before kissing me. "I'll do my best."

"We'll see." I glanced at his tail. "You might want to get that under control."

Rolling his eyes, Max sunk down in his seat and trapped his tail under his leg. Taking a deep breath, I went to retrieve the remote from Maggie's chair. I shuffled back and plopped down beside him.

"What do you want to watch?" I leaned against his side.

"Just flip through the channels and let's see what's on." He lifted his arm and put it around me.

"Here, have at it." I handed the remote to him and curled into him. We had only been there five minutes and I needed a nap.

***