Chapter 41: Mark

My chest felt tight. It was burning, a searing pain—like a fire had been lit. I opened my eyes and let out a slow breath. My family was sitting around the room with a doctor nearby. I pressed my hand to the center of my ribs. The dull ache wasn't going away.

"Mom?"

She leaped up and hurried over. "What is it, Rue?"

My breathing started to get heavy. "It hurts."

"It's happening," whispered Andreas.

Tension filled the room as the burning started to grow.

My mother moved behind me and gathered me in her arms. "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

I gasped as the immense energy began to move. It was burning me from the inside! I thrashed my legs as the pain grew. This wasn't normal. The other boys were never in pain when they shifted. It was easy for them. They'd go back and forth all the time. Why was it hurting so bad?

I clung to my mother as I struggled to just breathe. It felt like my skin was tearing as fur pushed through my pores. My face elongated, and a sharp pain erupted from my tailbone. The energy made its way to my feet, and it felt like it was breaking my bones. I could barely make a sound as my eyesight went black. The popping and cracking noises were making me sick. I might even puke if it lasted any longer.

My eyesight returned, and the energy retreated to the center of my chest. I trembled in my mother's arms as the dull, aching pain didn't leave. Was it over? I was too scared to move and set it off again.

"My little red wolf," whispered my mother, making my ear twitch. "I finally get to see you."

It startled me. My ears were flicking toward any sound in the room. She ran a hand along my arm. It made me shiver as my fur moved. I was a werewolf. I was finally a werewolf. The tears came quickly. I was in so much pain, but it was worth it. I was a werewolf—my true form.

"It's okay," said my mom. "It's over." She rocked me side to side. "You are so handsome, Rue."

My grandfather moved closer to the bed. "Rudy?"

I glanced at him.

He smiled. "Just as red as your hair. You turned into a fine werewolf." Removing the blanket, he scanned my body. "You've grown a bit. We'll have to see how you measure up to Drake."

"Hector," said my mother firmly. "Let's not start that now." She wiped my face for me. "How's the jaw?"

I shook my head and sunk into her chest.

My grandpa chuckled. "I agree. The pup needs to concentrate on resting up so we can see what he can do."

The doctor moved in to examine me. "His vitals are good. His body appears to be adjusting to the form—Typical first moon shifting." He gathered his things. "I'll be back in the morning to check on him, but he looks great. Rudy will be sore. Mind his feet and soft foods for now." He nodded to the alpha and left the room.

"I thought about punishing you for disobeying your father," said Andreas. "But I think you did that to yourself." He tried not to smile. "Get some rest, pup. We'll see how you're feeling in the morning."

***

I couldn't move. My legs felt like they had been run over multiple times. Opening my mouth hurt so bad that the thought of food was nauseating. So this was how humans felt when they mated a werewolf? I would have to apologize to Jax for ever thinking he was weak for whining.

The door opened. I didn't bother lifting my head. I planned on wallowing in self-pity and sleeping for the rest of the day. Maybe tomorrow I'd feel better, but at the moment, I wanted to do nothing but lay completely still.