Chapter 30: Part of a Team

Gasping for air, I finished my last lap and looked around the pool. Everyone was already done. This wasn't going how I wanted. Being able to stay in human form was nice, but was it worth being constantly physically exhausted and losing every time? I yanked off the swim cap and lifted my goggles.

"You finished a lot faster today." Coach Walker held out his hand. "You're catching on quickly."

With his help, I lifted myself out of the water and collapsed. "I don't know if I'm cut out for this."

"It's conditioning, Rudy," Coach laughed. "I'm trying to whip you into shape. It's never a fun time for the new guy."

"Everyone finished way before me," I sighed.

"No, they didn't." Coach knelt on the deck. "You were right behind them the whole way." He motioned to the other swimmers. "They're just as exhausted as you, and you're new to swimming. You improve every practice. Stick with it, and you might get somewhere, pup."

Nodding, I took deep breaths.

"You're not planning on disappearing on me, right?"

"No," I replied, sitting up. "I said I do it, so I'll see the season through. I might lose every meet, but what's new." I shrugged. "Being stuck in human form hasn't helped me win anything."

"No one is good at something overnight." Coach patted my shoulder before going to check on the others.

I sat there for a moment until my heart rate settled down.

"Hey, Rudy."

I froze as an older boy waved at me.

"We're going to get a snack at the cafeteria. You should come with us."

Standing, I wandered over. "Yeah? Really?"

"You're part of the team, pup." He squeezed the back of my neck. "Which is pretty much a mini pack around here."

"Okay." I smiled. I had to admit being a part of a group was a little exciting.

***

I opened the door to my room and flung myself onto my bed. Case was in the middle of some game with a headset on.

"How'd it go?" asked Case.

"I'm so tired." I rubbed my eyes.

"That's normal," Case said with a chuckle. "Conditioning is a killer."

I rolled over. "I went with the team to the cafeteria. They all were really cool. They said they always go after practice as a team to get something to eat and recharge."

Case eyed me. "Are you trying to tell me something?"

"No," I groaned. "You do stuff with the soccer team."

"I know, I'm teasing you." He adjusted his headset. "So, are you going to stick it out?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I don't know if I'll win anything, but it's fun."

"That's good." Case frankly pressed a button on his remote.

Crawling out of bed, I staggered into the bathroom. I needed to get rid of the smell of chlorine. I had been so excited and worried about being left behind to wash my hair well in the locker room. Grinning to myself, I empty my bag. Even if I didn't win a single race, it was nice to be a part of something.

***

I sat at the top of the bleachers while the rest of the class played basketball in werewolf form. It was giving me flashbacks from grade school.