Chapter 23: Rugby Match

"Bye, Mom." I leaned over and gave her a hug before getting out of the car.

"Did you remember everything?"

"Yes," I sighed.

"Be careful." She lifted a finger. "You have toxins now."

I tried not to smile. "I will. I'll call you later. I have to get to class."

"Alright, Rue. I'm leaving," she laughed. "Have a good day."

I closed the car door and moved onto the sidewalk. I waved as she drove away.

"Hey, it's little Rudy."

With a sigh, I turned to see the two boys walking down the sidewalk. "Hi."

Levi messed up my hair as he passed. "Case is bored out of his mind. He's held up in your room playing video games."

Bruce didn't say much and continued on down the sidewalk.

"I'm on my way there," I replied.

"Tell the pup, he better not be late to class. My mom will get after me for not being a good big brother. Whatever that means." Levi bumped Bruce's arm.

I waited until they were a bit further away before hurrying off toward the dorm building. I jogged through the front door and headed to the second floor. The halls were nearly empty but it was close to when classes started.

Unlocking the door, I poked my head inside. "Case, I'm back."

The bathroom door flew open. "Finally," he groaned. "I didn't think you'd be gone all weekend."

I put my bag on my bed and took out what I didn't need. "My mom talked me into it."

"I figured. I should have gone home, but I didn't want to deal with my sisters."

Shaking my head, I rolled my eyes. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Case stretched his arms overhead. "So, how'd it go?"

Turning around, I grinned. "I have toxins."

"No way! Do they think it'll make it so you can shift?"

I shrugged. "Probably not, but I'm happy to at least have those." I rubbed my nails. "They're still coming in, so I have to go back later to have them tested."

"That's so awesome! I'd say let go to the cafeteria to get a treat but we'd probably be late." He zipped up his bag.

"After?" I looped my arms through the straps.

Case grinned. "After, and then we can work on unlocking that new level."

"Deal."

***

We walked down the sidewalk with a few of the boys from our grade toward the stadium. I could already hear the rumble coming from it.

"What are they playing?" I asked Case.

"Rugby, or as Levi says: a bloody version of football." He smiled to himself. "It's usually to piss Connor off because he does football."

"What do they think about soccer?"

Case shrugged. "I don't care. I don't need to tackle or maul another werewolf to be considered a legit athlete," he mocked.

"Hmm..." I was considering trying swimming. That was even less contact.

We stepped in line with the other students waiting to get in.

The surrounding parking lot was full and there were a lot of parents looking uncomfortable as they tugged at their clothes. I didn't mind that everyone had to be in human form while on campus.