Chapter 43: Short-Lived

"Stand up straight for me."

I stood so as Andreas's secretary adjusted the camera.

"It must be exciting," he said with a smile. "The human-borns are usually overwhelmed by it."

"It's exciting and overwhelming," I replied.

"I'm sure. Alright, look straight into the camera. No smiling. Three, two, one." He pressed the button, and the camera flashed. "Let's do one more. Three, two, one."

It flashed again.

"And turn. It's going to feel awkward, but we have to do it since some werewolves have markings on their back. Just stare at the wall."

I did so, and he snapped two more pictures.

"That will do it." He picked up his tablet. "Alright, notable markings." He glanced at me. "Gold on the chest and ears."

I grabbed one, confused. "There's no marking on them."

"The fur inside them." He motioned to his own. "It counts. We tend to overlook it, but it is a different color, so I have to make a note of it."

"Oh." I stood there awkwardly as I waited.

"It's nice." He finished writing. "Some people have markings that make them look lopsided. You're quite balanced." He turned the screen to me. "There you go—your new pack profile. Check over the information and confirm everything is correct before checking the box at the bottom and signing on the line." He handed me his stylus. "I'm going to be at my desk, so just bring it there when you're done. No rush."

"Thanks." I went to the chair by the wall and sat.

My human and werewolf pictures were right by each other. I frowned when I saw that my condition had been noted under the important information sections. My rank was also missing. My medical condition was noted as well for a reason while a rank had not been given. This is what Andreas saw every time he pulled up my profile. Did all my teachers see this, too?

I stopped at markings to see a generic diagram of the back and front of a werewolf that showed the general areas where mine appeared. My chest and both ears were marked. I scratched one of them. He had been right; I didn't think the inside fur was considered a marking. The large one on my chest was more of a concern. It would be worse. At least it wasn't white.

After looking over it one more time, I checked the box and scribbled my name on the bottom. I pressed submit and stood. It was done. My profile was slowly filling in. Maybe in another eighteen years, I'd get a rank.

Going to the front desk, I handed the secretary the tablet.

"Your uncle and dad are in a meeting. It might be a while. If you'd like to wait in the conference room, there's a couch that is a bit more comfortable." He pointed to a door.

Nodding, I went to it and opened it.

"Wow." I stepped inside and leaned back against the door.

A long table ran down the middle of the room. High-backed chairs lined the sides of it. The one on the far end was bigger. It definitely said this is where the alpha sits. Windows covered the far wall and I could see quite far over the city.

This was where the top dominants met, or maybe all the sub-alphas would come here for their meeting with Andreas. I sat in one of the chairs and looked up and down the table. It would be pretty cool to get to be here with the alpha. Max made it sound like I had the potential, but he could've been trying to be nice. I glanced at the mural on the wall. It was an elaborate forest scene with werewolves scattered throughout. Slowly letting out a deep breath, I sunk into my seat. My time was limited. I'd go back to being human soon. It was bittersweet to finally know what it was like to be a proper werewolf and then have to give it up. I'd have to wait and hope that one day we could find a solution to fix me.