Chapter 36: White House

I glanced at my phone and shook my head.

'So? What's it like?' texted Case. 'Is it like Midevil? Blood, guts?'

I wrote a response to him and gathered my things to get off the plane. My grandpa had on formal clothes. I settled for the swim team warmup outfit. I didn't need to make an impression, but I didn't have to meet with Wolfsbane leadership either. I put on my backpack and followed my grandpa to the exit. We walked down the steps to where a car was waiting. Reporters were standing behind a barrier not too far off. The flashes were enough to know what they were doing there. This was over the top. I didn't need this pack talking about the human with an alpha of Midfield.

"We should have flown over with the team," I muttered.

"I am a retired alpha." He winked at me and opened the door. "It's going to at least be mentioned in the news that I'm here."

I slid inside. "As long as I'm not a part of that."

My grandpa sat across from me and adjusted his robes. "You've been a part of the news since you were a pup. Your parents simply did a good job of not letting you find out."

"Good to know." I rubbed my eyes. "Are we going to the pool?"

"No, I have to go to The White House. They've scheduled for you to go to the pool later tonight."

I checked my phone to see messages and pictures from them. "The team is already there."

"You're running the relay tomorrow." He eyed me. "So bear with me for a bit. We'll get the formalities out of the way and then focus on getting you ready for prelims. Deal?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "Sorry, I'm just tired. Coach hasn't been letting up."

My grandpa knocked on the panel behind his head. "When you're ready."

The car started to move along with the others following us to Wolfsbane's alpha mansion. The place looked normal from what I could see. It was simply another pack, and I could sense I was in foreign territory. Wolfsbane wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, though.

***

The car door was opened for me.

My grandpa grabbed my backpack from me. "Leave it here."

He climbed out first and motioned for me.

"Hector." A black werewolf with red markings stood at the top of the steps. "Welcome. How long has it been since you paid us a visit?"

He shrugged. "A few years, not being alpha anymore makes it, so I don't have to travel much."

The two men shook hands.

A black werewolf wearing a red silk gown stepped out of the mansion. "Hector."

"Amber." My grandpa nodded.

"Retirement has served you well by the looks of it."

"I'm sure you're enjoying it as well." He put his hand on my shoulder. "This is my grandson, Rudy."

"The swimmer?"

I nodded. "I'm competing in the junior Contentials."

"Yes, the reason Hector decided to pay us a visit." She smiled. "Come in and make yourself at home."

I stuck to my grandpa's side as we entered. My senses were heightened. I grew up around alphas, but I had never felt on edge around my family. A younger werewolf came bolting around the corner with a smaller pup chasing after her.

"Ivy," said Judah. "What are you doing?"

She snagged the pup. "Babysitting." She grabbed the hand of the pup, wearing a simple green t-shirt and fairy wings.