Chapter 42: The Scent of Blood(Milo)

I sat huddled with the other omegas. My back still burned from the toxins that coated the whip. Some of the others were in worse shape. A human entered and we all pressed into each other. He went to the other group on the far side of the room and picked out a light brown werewolf with white markings. The poor thing was shaking.

"Get up."

The boy did so and bowed his head. He looked so small even against a human. His ribs were sticking out. The omega was taken away.

"I think someone bought him," whispered a werewolf behind me.

"In the human city?"

"Yeah."

Swallowing hard, I hugged my legs to my chest. The door closed and we were able to relax for the time being. I wondered if Jed was doing any better. I hoped he was okay and they hadn't hurt him—or worse.

The lock moved to the side and fear spread through the room. Multiple humans entered. They started to take omegas out of the group.

"Get the silver one. I have someone interested."

"I work with him yesterday." A human shook his head. "He's mated. It's taking longer than usual."

"Exactly why you need to work with him today."

Muttering to himself, a human reached for my arm. I jerked away from him. A gasp spread through the other werewolves.

"You still need a lot of work mutt." He jerked me to my feet and shoved me toward the exit. "It won't be long before you use up all of your mate's healing enzymes and then will start getting some results."

***

(Collin)

Axil opened the doors to the back of a trailer.

"What is this?" I scanned the different screens.

"Somewhere you can wait until the place is secure." Axil motioned me inside. "There's a seat right there. Don't move from it."

I climbed inside and he slammed the doors. The werewolves inside gave me quick glances before getting back to work. I sat down in the empty seat and folded my arms. I get Axil was worried that I might not be able to handle it but if Milo was nearby, I wanted to find him. He had been gone for too long. I was worried that something had happened. My chest felt tight and I closed my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I leaned over my knees.

"Yes, Sir. You're good to go."

Sitting up, I eyed the werewolf next to me. Was it happening already?

"Southside is clear," said the one across the trailer.

"Multiple humans on the east by the loading docks."

Muffled voices came from the man's headset. I wanted to know what was going on.

"Westside is clear. Northside has two humans by the entrance." The werewolf nodded. "Yes, sir. Going dark in three, two, one." He clicked a button and the trailer was silent.

I swallowed hard. "What's happening?"

"Infiltration," said the one near me. "Axil gives his order and expects his team to carry it out without interference. He doesn't want to risk someone overhearing someone talking or a radio."

I watched the screens. Sticking to the shadows, they slipped through the night. Werewolves have always been pack hunters but this was on a different level.

"Teams are in position."

"Power going out in three, two, one." The werewolf across the trailer clicked a button.