Autistic (Dreamnotnap)

Made on: 12th of May 2021
Published: 12th of May 2021

Suggested:  Uttier123 

Context: George is autistic and has a sensory overload.

George felt the tears pooling in his eyes, he tried to calm himself by putting pressure on his chest but nothing was working.

Today was terrible, the cars' horns were constantly blaring.

The annoying little bell on his shop was always ringing.

The wind was scorching but also cold. Causing a confusing unwelcome feeling

His coworker touched him innocently on the shoulder, but he still felt it hours later (it felt as if a thousand needles were poking him).

The marble counter (that was supposed to be cold) felt as if it was burning his skin off,

The sound of people's shoes tapping on the floor sounded as if they were right by his ear.

The multiple conversations around him felt as if they were stomping on his head and forcing him to listen.

But throughout all of this, he had managed to clock out and get into his car.

And that was where he was.

Everything in himself felt as if it had shut down but he was still hyperaware.

He was hyperaware of the way that his foot was tapping on the floor, the way that the rough texture of the steering wheel felt as if it was cutting through his skin.

The small way that the engine hummed (that usually calmed him) felt as if a train was running right at him, and he couldn't move.

He knew that he was having a sensory overload, but he hadn't experienced one in so long that he couldn't even remember what he did to calm him.

Hug himself?

Scratch himself?

Blow some air on his skin to take his attention to it?

Pull his hair?

He didn't know!

He knew that he was beyond late to come home, his shift ended at 12:00 but now it was 12:47.

He knew that the way his phone was buzzing meant that Sapnap and Dream was messaging him, but he couldn't care.

All he knew that the noise wasn't helping.

Hands were shaking, tears were streaming down his face.

He knew that he could scream, but nothing was helping.

⊠ Sapnap and Dream's POV⊠

"Dream! Has George responded yet?"

Sapnap asked from where he was seated on the couch, an arm slung over the backrest of the couch.

"No, he gets off at like 12 right?"
"Yea, do you think his boss is making him work extra or something?"
"Nah, George is her favourite. She practically simps for him,"

Sapnap and Dream laughed at the joke, the tense atmosphere lifting for a little before coming back down stronger.

"Do you think he like got hurt?"

Dream asked, unsure if he wanted an answer or not.

"Maybe, wanna go check out his workplace?"
"Yea, let's go,"

And that's how they ended up walking to the bakery where George worked, they rarely used cars (only when they were feeling lazy), it was only a fifteen minute walk.

"Oh look! There's his car!"

Dream pointed out, unlooping his hand from Sapnap's. Sapnap made a hum of acknowledgement and pulled Dream across the street, walking up towards his car.

But it wasn't as he expected.

It was usual that George would fall asleep in his car after a shift, but this was much more intense.

He was panicking, the tears streaks on his face making it all the more obvious.

"Dream! He's panicking!"

Sapnap tapped on his shoulder and brought his attention, to the panicking boy.

"Oh shoot!"

Dream tugged on the car door, it being unlocked (George often forgot about important things when he panics) and wrapped his arms around George, providing comfort.

The weight of Dream's arms around him provided some grounding, keeping him from floating away in his head with all the sounds around.

Dream and Sapnap had coaxed George to go into the back, it taking a little while due to George being fully dead weight.

They were now in the back seat, Sapnap on George's right while Dream was on his left, fully sandwiching him.

"George, sweetie look at me,"

Dream coaxed, trying to pull George out of his panic headspace. George's eyes were now glazed over, not panicking but still not fully down to earth.

Sapnap held George's hand and passed it over his jeans, trying to give him a new feeling to focus on.

George suddenly gasped and and looked around, assessing his location.

"Hi Georgie, can you look at me real quick?"

Dream asked softly, passing the pad of his thumb over George's knuckles.

George nodded hazily and looked at Dream, seeing that he was holding up some fingers.

"Can you tell me how many fingers Dream's holding up?"

Sapnap asked, the change of voice making pulling George back down.

"Uhm, five?"

George said, eyes trying to focus.

"Good job baby, such a smart boy!"

Dream and Sapnap congratulated George, it was a simple question but that wasn't the point.

George was slowly coming down from his disconnect and was now fully back, eyes no longer glazed over.

"Thanks for uhm . . . helping me with my thing?"

George said, unsure and embarrassed.

He knew logically, that they would drop anything in a heartbeat to comfort him, keep him happy.

But he still felt slightly embarrassed about it.

"Don't thank us bubba, it's completely fine,"

Dream murmured, playing with George's fingers contently.

"Can we stay here?"

George asked, still unsure if he could function now.

"Of course sweetheart,"

Sapnap answered, leaning his head on George's shoulder.

God I love these two.

Word Count: 954

Can anyone tell me how I did in the whole panic part? I'm not sure if I overdid it or if it was accurate!