One Hundred Four

-Everline's POV-

"Because of your utter stupidity, you have brought this to yourself, Frances." The Emperor berated. He was pretty upset to find out that I only have barely three years left to live. There goes his ingenious plan of making me his heir after Prince Frances

"I'm terribly sorry for what happened, Father. I know what I did was irreversible but I hope you'd forgive me." He apologized.

"You idiotic buffoon! Why are you apologizing to me?! Do I look like the person whom you shoved toward that monster?! Hear me, my officials for I now have a royal decree to give."

..This better not-

"I DECLARE THAT TODAY, JULY 24TH 2253 IS THE DAY THAT I, EMPEROR CARTER ANDREAS WESCOTT HAVE OFFICIALY ABDICATED THE THRONE AND WILL BE HANDING IT OVER TO MY NIECE, IMPERIAL ROYAL PRINCESS EVERLINE ATHENA WESCOTT."

A large uproar emerged from all of the present officials and I was equally pissed.

Bloody Fucker couldn't even let me have a few years to be relaxed.

"Rejoice for your new Emperor!" He proclaimed.

No one couldn't do anything but kneel on their knees to give respect to the new ruler of the empire. It was unexpected but we were talking about this old senile bastard so everything is to be unexpected.

He walked close to me and placed the crown on my head. There will have to be a coronation to follow this for tradition's sake and although I rather not it was also considered as protocol.

My Fiancé has heard of my condition but even so, when news broke out that I have succeeded as the Emperor, he agreed to push our marriage since two and a half years is more than enough time for me to conceive an heir, they said.

My cousin, Princess Francine has been quite silent about the whole ordeal but has sent me flowers of congratulations.

I have been more than tired and upset about it all. When I threatened to abdicate the throne as soon as I am crowned, that barmy old man quoted that I have made a royal promise to protect the empire.

"Then I shall abdicate the throne once that crown is placed on my head once more."

"What you don't understand is that you cannot do that."

"On what rule?" I mocked.

"Remember I made you sign the royal promise of protection?"

"What of it."

"The ink used in that paper was a quite..slow reactant one. If you'd like, you may check it once more." He sneered.

A hidden text I've never seen before showed in the paper. It stated that once I've been given the throne, I have no choice but to reign as Emperor till my last breath.

I must admit, it was the perfect checkmate. He knew what I would do and prepared a countermeasure. A no-brainer but a smart ruler no less. I only realized it a few days ago that, many of the things happening now are exactly what Caius explained to me before I read the book about my world.