Pregnant

*Phils point of view*

"So you're pregnant." I said wanting to yank my hair out.
"Yup."
"With a baby." I said slowly.
"That would be correct."
"With my baby." I said even slower, my heart was racing.
"That would also be correct."

I glanced across the room at Dan. It was like he refused to look at me. He was just staring at that pink stick, at those to lines reading positive.

This wasn't supposed to happen.
Not with him.
Or at least, not like this.

You see I got in this huge fight with my girlfriend a week ago and stupidly, so stupidly. I got drunk with Dan. You know, my best friend. I didn't know it would happen, I thought it would be an innocent night. One without sex, but here we are.

I mean.. Dan had gotten sick this morning, but I just thought it was from something else. It wasn't until Dan fainted that we decided he should take a pregnancy test.

I was hoping it was just a coincidence.. but I guess not.

"What are we going do?" I wondered aloud.
"Do you want to keep it? We both know I can't get an abortion." He whispered the last part. They haven't created the technology for men abortions yet. We definitely can't put it up for adoption either, Dan has a long and bad history from that place.
"I have a girlfriend Dan." I said slowly. "Oh my god I have a girlfriend Dan. How the hell is she going to respond?!"
"Oh my god... I'm gonna be a single parent. I'm going to be all alone. What the fuck am I going to do?!" He started to pace. "I don't have any parents, and your gonna leave with your girlfriend." He bit his nails, I could see the tears in his eyes. He sat down again. My head snapped up and and I looked over at him.
"Hey." I said gently walking over. "I'm never gonna completely leave you. You're my best friend. And this is my baby too."

"Thanks.. I guess." He gave me a semi smile. "So.. we're going to have this baby." He took a death breath.
"I guess so." I laughed a little. "Best friends going to have a kid."

After our very awkward conversation we decided to make an appointment to see the doctor that night.

I sat in the chair more nervous than I've ever been in my life. I could tell Dan was nervous too, his leg was bouncing up and down a million times a minute. I wiped my palms on my jeans for the tenth time and looked down at my phone. My girlfriend texted asking if she could come over.

Before I could respond a woman walked into the room.
"Hi!" She smiled at us. "I'm guessing you two are the happy parents." I laughed nervously.
"Sure." I wipe my palms on my jeans again.
"Ok well, Dan I was told you were the carrier." She turned to him and he gave a weak smile.
"Yup."
"Ok well if you'd lay down we'll get started."

Dan laid on the hospital bed and she rubbed the gel stuff on his stomach and began the ultrasound. I stood next to Dan and we watched as the image appeared in be screen.

"And if you look closely, it's not very big, there it is!" She pointed at the little dot on the screen. "I'll leave you alone for a minute." She smiled and walked out the door.

I couldn't stop starting at it. It was small, but it was amazing. That was my kid. My little baby. In the person I loved- I mean my best friends stomach.
"Oh my god." I breathed out, I didn't realized I was holding hands with Dan until he squeezed mine.
"I can't believe our baby is growing inside me!" Dan laughed with tears in his eyes. He looked up at me and we both started laughing, crying a little too.

I didn't even realize I was leaning in until our lips were about to touch.
"Girlfriend!" I said pulling back with my hands over my mouth.
"Girlfriend." He said looking down at the floor trying not to smile.

The doctor came back in a talked to us about how healthy our baby was and we walked out. We got in the Uber car and after a few minutes Dan put a hand over his mouth.
"You ok?" I asked, he shook his head.
"I feel nauseous." He said, it was like his face was getting paler by the minute.
"Oh my god, we're almost there I promise." I could see our flat up ahead.

The second we stopped I gave the driver money and we sprinted out. I opened the door and Dan ran to the bathroom. I was about to run after when I was stopped by a voice.
"Hi Phil." I recognized it, it was Margaret, my girlfriend.
"What are you doing here?" I asked eyes wide. She came up from the couch.
"Well.. I felt bad about our fight and I wanted to come talk about it. I know I haven't really spoken to you in a week." She gave me a weak smile. "What's wrong with Dan?" She asked. My eyes went even wider.
"Um.. Margaret.. I have to tell you something. Dan is well.. pregnant. And I'm the father." I said slowly, I watched as anger appeared on her face.

"You cheated on me?! With him!" She had a look of disgust on her face. Dan walked in the room looking a little better than before.
"Hey Margaret, what are you doing here?" He asked, not knowing I told her.
"I can't believe you! It's your fault, you're just jealous that he has a girlfriend he loves more than you!" She said starting to walk over to him.
"Margaret, It's my fault too. I shouldn't have done it." I said stepping in front of her. 
"Ok then choose."
"What?" I frowned.
"Choose. Me or him and that.. that mistake!" She yelled pointing at Dan.
"You're making me choose?" I scoffed, she just crossed her arms.

I looked over at Dan, I could tell he was upset, probably at the use of the word mistake.
"Him." I shrugged, it was an easy decision really. I loved Dan.
"What?!" She scoffed.
"You heard me, now leave." I said sternly.
"You'll regret this." She scowled.
"I doubt it." I scowled back. She made one more mad face a walk out the door.

I looked over at Dan.
"Sorry about that." I said scratching the back of  my neck.
"You chose her over me?" He asked, I looked up to see tears in his eyes.
"Well.. yeah of course, you're my best friend. I love you." I smiled at him. He ran over and pulled me into a tight hug.
"Aww Phil I love you too!" He cried.
"What.. Dan.. why are you crying?" I laughed gently.
"I don't know if it's hormones or if I'm just really happy!" He cried out.
Definitely hormones.

"You really thought I'd choose her over you?" I frowned. "I would never."
"I love you." He cried and next thing I knew his lips were on mine. It was sweet but I was sad when it quickly ended. He put his hand over his mouth. "I'm sorry I think my hormones have gotten worse." He whispered, I laughed.
"It's ok.. I liked it actually." 
"Really?" He asked quietly.
"Yeah. Plus, we want our baby to have two parents in its life."
"So you'll raise it with me?" I could see him tearing up, I was too.
"Of course." I whispered as I leaned in for another kiss.