Christmas Pt. 2

*Dan's point of view*
*Future*

The smell of chestnuts and cinnamon filled my nose as I walked into my favorite house- the Lester's. They were the in-laws that treated me as their own family when I didn't have one to go home to. They were- and still are- the grandparents and favorite uncle of Phil and I's three wonderful children.

"Hi Dan, Merry Christmas!" Phil's mum said cheerily, instantly going in for a hug.
"Merry Christmas to you Cathy!" I said holding her tightly. I backed away and our kids ran to her. The chorus of grandma! rang through the room.

First to run off was Alton. We adopted him a year ago from the adoption center in Uganda. He is four now, happier than ever to have new daddies. He had chocolate brown skin and black, curly and short hair.

Second to run off was, of course, his eight year old brother Samuel. Sam was a surrogate. He had curly brown hair and hazel eyes. He had pale skin that got very tan in the summer. He wore glasses (thanks to Phil's terrible vision) and had my dimples.

Finally, to walk off texting on her phone, was Lily. We adopted her about ten years ago. She was fourteen now and was already beginning her rebelling against the parents stage. She had curly red hair and freckles danced around her nose. Her eyes were a bright green but you could barely see that over the constant eye rolling she did.

"Hey mum!" Phil said hugging her. I walked into the living room meeting up with more of Phil's fantastic family. I met up with Martyn, Cornelia and Phil's dad.

Sitting on the floor was Martyn and Cornelia's five year old daughter, Mary. She instantly ran to Lily, who- I could tell through her smile and kind voice- wanted her to go away. Lucky for her, Mary got distracted by Alton and Sam playing, and joined them instead.

Phil walked in the room, giving me a bright smile. I smiled back and walked over to him.
"My mum forgot some things while she was shopping, want to go to the grocery with me and get them?" Phil asked. "It'll only take like five or ten minutes."
"Sure," I said. We told our kids where we were going and Lily immediately perked up.
"You're going to leave me here alone?" Lily asked.

The thing about Lily, although she was in her rebel against the parents stage, she clung to us like glue. There are many reasons for that, two stuck out from my mind. When she wasn't in that adoption center, she was abused. She was abused in any way you can think of. She was four years old and already had a tougher life than Phil's and I's combined. She already had a thing against adults when we got her, but once she realized we treated her ten times better than her old parents, she wouldn't leave us alone.

The second reason is simple really. She was and introvert, just like her two fathers.

When she asked I could tell she didn't want to be here alone. It wasn't because she didn't trust the people around her, it was because she trusted us the most. It, of course, didn't bother anyone here. They all understood once they heard about her past.

"Well I guess you could come," I rolled my eyes dramatically, she knew I was kidding.
"Fine," Phil said- also dramatically. She rolled her eyes with a smile.
"Very funny."
"I thought it was," Phil said holding open the door for Lily and I.
"I thought it was funny too," I agreed.
"You guys are stupid," She laughed getting in the car.
"Um, excuse you, I have a degree," Phil said in a sassy tone.
"And I almost had a degree," I threw in. She shook her head and looked out the window  with a smile.

"Oh we got her!" Phil said excitedly.
"Hashtag rekt!" I said making a mic drop motion. She, again, rolled her eyes.
"Buuurrned!" Phil yelled.
"Oh my god, please stop," Lily cringed. Phil dabbed and I joined the cringing.
"Phil, we've talked about this, no dabbing!" We all laughed.
"You guys are the weirdest," Lily giggled.
"Well you are our daughter, so what does that make you?" I smiled. 

We walked up and down the aisles looking for the things that Phil's mum needed. As I was sitting on my phone, I heard a voice I hadn't heard in years.

"Well would you look who it is," She had the same croaky voice I remembered.
"Hello," I said clearing my throat. There were so many things I wanted to shout at her, but I kept it all down.
"I see you finally got rid of that damn emo hair," She remarked.
"Yup," I bit my tongue.

"No way! She totally likes me more than Mia!" Lily exclaimed from behind me. She threw the item Phil and her got into the trolley.
"Who the hell are these two?" My mum asked narrowing her eyes and Phil and Lily.
"This is my daughter Lily, and this is my husband Phil," I introduced them. "Guys, this is my mum," I said nervously. I could see Phil's jaw clench, Phil knew the story about my family, he was very protective, so I could tell from his face he wanted to punch her more than me.

"Phil Lester? The same Phil you obsessed over when you were like 16? And the same family you left us for?" Her face scrunched together.
"Yup," I said, I could feel my cheeks heat up, I didn't know if it was embarrassment or anger.
"That's disgusting, and would you look at that. You adopted a ginger!" She raised her eyebrows. "And it's not even really yours."
"You know what? Insulting me, I can deal with, you've been doing it my whole damn life. But my family is where you crossed the fucking line. Yeah, I did replace you and dad and Adrian with the Lesters, and it was the best thing I've ever done," I finally let out my anger.

"Why don't you go to the car, Lily and I will meet you there," Phil said gently, I was about to start bawling and I think he knew it. I nodded, leaving them and bawling my eyes out. The bad memories of my past came flowing back like a broken dam I couldn't stop.

I heard the door slam shut and met Phil's eyes when I looked up.
"You alright?" He whispered.
"Getting better," I bit my lip and wiped my tears away. "Where's Lily?"
"She's putting the trolley away, I wanted to give you time to calm down," Phil said resting his hand over mine.
"Thanks," I smiled. "Did you talk to her?"
"About.." He trailed off, I nodded. "She asked a few questions, I answered most of them," He nodded like it was a simple thing.
Like it didn't matter that he did that.
But to me, it mattered more than anything. He could have told Lily everything, he could've talked all about how terrible she is. He could've embarrassed me without knowing it.
But he didn't.
I loved him for that.

Lily got back in the car and I started to drive back to the Lester's.
"Sorry about that hon," I said to her.
"It's alright, it's not your fault," She said looking out the window.
She was just like Phil, saying things so important to someone, saying something that makes someone so happy, without even knowing it.

We got back and eventually it was time for food. As always, Cathy made a big meal, and everyone talked and laughed and told stories.

I remembered the first time I was there. I was scared that I would be ruining their Christmas. I was scared they were pitying me. I was terrified they were going to kick me out, just like my family.

What I found out, was that there are families that aren't like that. There are families that would take you in, not to pity you, but because want to. There are families that would never kick you out.

As I sat there and ate, I took everything around me in. It was like everything was in slow motion. Everyone eating, laughing, just enjoying themselves. My heart was warmer than it has ever been.

This was the happiest I've ever been. Sitting here with my husband, my kids, and my beautiful family.