The Boy That Wasn't Meant To Be Hunted

Phil watched in disbelief as his mother stitched together the skin of the banana. She showed him the curved needle, the proper place to start the stitch, how to make sure the skin was up and not down, and how to tie the proper knots. Phil was fascinated by his mother and her teachings.

She taught him everything he need to know about fixing himself up. She was a doctor at the hospital in town and Phil loved learning about medicine. She showed him everything. Where the shot went when giving a vaccine, how to do stitches, how to locate a shoulder back in its spot, everything he might need for a quick fix.

She was preparing him to be a doctor like her, or to be a hunter like his father. He traveled across the country hunting the supernatural. They met on one of his cases and happened to fall in love. His father was weary about it, not wanting anything to go after his family, but it somehow worked out. She was a doctor that made enough money to support their family and he was a hunter that saved hundreds of people and protected them.

Phil loved both sides. He loved to hear about hunting and millions of stories about Wendigos or Vampires or Djin. On the other hand, he loved learning about medicine and surgery. He loved to practice it too, even right now on a dumb banana, he could practice stitches all day.

That was, until his father came home. This time, his father told him about werewolves. Phil loved werewolves. He had hundreds of books on them. He read every written lore about them that there was. The most interesting thing was the part about their blood. Supposedly, if combined with the correct materials, it could create a medicine to cure millions of injuries and sicknesses.

He met his first one when he was sixteen, his first ever hunt. He didn't do much, just sort of following his father and keeping his eye out. These particular werewolves were causing a big issue with the people in this town- they ate the mayor and a ton of other government officials' hearts. Together, he and his father found the nest and took them out.

They were about to leave when they heard a noise in the basement. It wasn't anything like the growls they heard before, it was a loud whimper. His father went first and Phil followed closely behind. He figured it would be an injured werewolf, but was immediately surprised when he saw a boy in a small cell.

He had curly brown hair that was extremely unruly. It looked like it hadn't been washed in a while. His face was covered in dirt and grime and scratches and bruises. His eyes were brown, but his pupils were small dots overrun by the color. His hands that clenched the cage had long, sharp nails. He was definitely a werewolf, but he was young, couldn't be older than twelve.

"Please, help me," He whimpered. Phil didn't know what to do. This boy was obviously locked up, so who knows if he's ever killed anyone. Plus, he looked way to young to be locked up there. But then again, he was a werewolf, completely capable of killing someone.

"We're not going to kill him... are we dad?" Phil asked quietly. His father looked at the Phil and back to the boy. He took a few steps closer to him, Phil followed behind. He tried not to stare at the boy, but he was always fascinated by werewolves. His father told him about werewolves that were able to avoid killing humans- killing things like cows, chickens, deers and other animals to get by. Maybe this boy could do that.

"Have you killed anyone?" His father asked putting the gun down. The boy looked at him with wide eyes and shook his head quickly. Phil felt bad for this boy, he seemed confused. "Can you do me a favor and calm down?" His father's voice was calm and soothing. "Take a few deep breaths.. can you do that for me? Then we can get you out of here." The boy took deep breaths. One, two, three, four. Slowly, the boys eyes went back to normal and his claws went back to nails. He was human again. He looked nervous, but he was human.

"Good, what's your name?" Phil's father asked as he looked around for the keys to the cell.
"Daniel Howell." The boy's voice was soft and quiet. He was scared, who knew what he had been through. "Who are you?" He asked.
"My name is Phil, that's my dad." Phil took the lead- seeing his father was busy with finding the keys that went to the cell door.
"Are you monsters too?" He whispered, Phil's heart felt like it broke for Daniel.
"No.. no we're humans. We kill monsters," Phil said, the boy suddenly looked upset- more with himself than at Phil.

"I'm a monster," He muttered.
"No, not yet. You're not a bad monster... we can help you," Phil reassured him. As of right then though, there was no way to cure a werewolf. He had to give him some sort of hope, though. Phil's father found the keys and unlocked the boy from the cell. He walked out and they walked out the doors.

Phil's father put them in the car while he took care of the werewolves' bodies. Phil took the backseat next to him. He had been along for God knows how long, he figured he needed a friend right now.

"How old are you?" Phil asked the boy. He figured he may as well talk to him now that he was out. Maybe they could help him out.
"I'm twelve," He answered.
"Where are you from?" Phil tilted his head at him, the boy thought for a moment.
"Wokingham," The boy responded. Phil's heart seemed to break in half for a second time. They were hours away from Wokingham.

"Whens the last time you've been home?" Daniel avoided Phil's gaze.
"I don't know," He whispered. "They took me and chained me away. They bit me and then left me there. They said they needed.. more of them," Daniel fiddled with his thumbs.
"Don't worry," Phil reassured. "We'll take care of you, I promise."

Take care of him, they did. They did hours of research and found Daniel Howell's parents. Both of their hearts were ripped out mysteriously and their young son went missing a few months ago- hasn't been seen since. They brought him to their home.

First, they brought him back to proper health. Within a few months it was like Daniel was a normal boy again. Second, they explained that if he didn't give in to the urges and eat anyone, Daniel would never have to kill anyone. They taught him what he could eat to give in to these urges without killing humans. Third, they gave him a home. A hunter friend of theirs was retiring and volunteered to take Daniel in. If he ever got out of hand, he would deal with him.

Phil was sad to see the boy go, though. Within those few months, they had become great friends. Daniel had even agreed to give Phil some of his blood for research. In the end though, the boy still had to leave. There as no room in their home for another boy. Especially a werewolf boy. When he left, Daniel admitted his small crush for Phil, but the older boy  just smiled. He gave him a small kiss on the cheek and said goodbye. Then, Daniel was gone never to been seen by the Lesters again. For a while, at least.

—————————
Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!