This Is Me~ Greatest Showman

I am not a stranger to the dark
Hide away, they say
'Cause we don't want your broken parts
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
Run away, they say
No one'll love you as you are
*Flashback: One year ago, Dan is seventeen*

"How long will it take you to understand that we don't want you here!" Dan's mother screamed at him. The insults of his mother and father's words were liking crashing waves. He felt like he was stuck underwater, each wave crashing into him and filling his lungs with salty water. He couldn't breath. He couldn't move. He couldn't get out.

"Maybe I don't want to be here anyway!" Dan shouted at them. He had finally had enough of their screaming. Years and years of this, he was done. His face was red with anger and tears streamed down his face in sadness. His parents started to laugh at him.

"And where are you going to go?" His father teased. "Who would want you," He narrowed his eyes at Dan. "You're emotional. You're gay. You're useless. Shall I go on?" He asked.
"You don't have to."

That was the day that Dan finally left. He grabbed his things and walked out the door. He walked a few blocks down, straight to Phil's. Phil was his best friend since he was little. Phil ways stood up for Dan. Dan's mother didn't like him though. She didn't like that he encouraged Dan's dancing.

Phil was twenty one and worked with his father at a major agency company. He was pretty much rich. He had a nice apartment Dan went to a lot. He walked up to the door and knocked on it.

But I won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious

Phil opened the door and a bright smile popped up on his face.
"Hey, Dan," He smiled at the boy in front of him. He opened the door wider. "Come on in." Dan walked inside, setting his things in the spare room. Phil claimed the spare room was kept for guests, but the only reason he had it was for when Dan slept over.

"Want some pizza?" He asked once Dan sat down on the couch. Dan shook his head, Phil instantly knew something was wrong. "What happened?" He sat down next to Dan. "Want me to beat someone up for you?" He asked. Dan smiled sadly and rolled his eyes.
"They told me they didn't want me. They insulted my dancing. They called me useless.. they told me nobody would love me," Dan's eyes watered. He didn't cry this time, though. An improvement of the last few times they said these things.

"Hey, I love you," Phil smiled, Dan rolled his eyes at him, trying to hide a smile.
"You don't count," Dan sniffled.
"Why don't I count?" Phil narrowed his eyes.
"Because, you have to say you love me, 'cause you're my only friend," Dan glanced up at him.
"That's not true at all. I actually love you Dan," Phil reassured him. Dan smiled at Phil, he still didn't believe him though.

"Phil.. I actually came here to ask you something," Dan's heart raced, he really hoped that Phil would let him stay there. Phil looked at him. "Can I.. move in with you?" He asked nervously. "Just until school's over," Dan rushed out. "And it's fine if not," He said.
"Really?" Phil asked excitedly. "Yeah, no, that'd be great! Of course you can move in with me, this'll be great," His eyes twinkled.
"Thanks, Phil."

"Oh my god! I forgot to tell you!" Phil suddenly got really excited.
"Tell me what?" Dan tilted his head at him.
"So, a friend of mine has a client for this guy who puts on these huge dance performances that highlight younger people. Apparently he's looking for a new dancer," Phil winked.
"No way!" Dan grabbed Phil's hands, could he actually get a job as a dancer?

"Yeah! Auditions are tomorrow. You can take off school right?" He asked.
"Yeah, of course! What's his name?"
"Robert Pack.. Pack something?" Dan's eyes widened at the name. 
"Robert Packrel?!" His mouth fell open.
"Yeah! You know the name?" Phil laughed.
"Oh my god! He's only the best dancing coach in the world!" Dan pulled Phil into a hug.
Dan swallowed the urge to kiss Phil. He knew Phil didn't like him. He was only a teenager.