Gear Shift Pt.2

*Phil's point of view*

I woke up alone in that hotel bed sick to my stomach.
I just slept with a married man.
I might have just ruined a perfect marriage.

Dan told me all about how in love he was with Rachel. She seemed so nice, they were about to have kids together!

I wasn't over Dan, I knew that part for sure. But that doesn't mean it was right to have sex with him. 

When Dan and I broke up four years ago, I never moved on. I didn't date anyone else. As a matter of fact, I didn't even move from my bed for a month. I don't know why I never stopped him, but I didn't.

When I saw him in the grocery store yesterday, I was about to start crying, he was back! Once I found out he was married though, I was, again, going to start crying. This time it wasn't because I was happy. 

We went out to coffee and were flirting the whole time. I forgot he was married. If I touched his wedding ring, I imagined it was because he was married to me.

When I kissed him, I felt like I was dating him again. It wasn't until the cold metal ring touched my face that made me pull away. When Dan asked me if he wanted to go to the hotel with him, I felt like I had a war in my head.

My brain was yelling, What the hell are you doing! Dan is married! Get away! Say no!

The heart on the other hand, was quiet. It was a faint whisper, but it was clear and blocked out the crude messages the brain was yelling.
You love him.

The heart won, and I said yes. We got to the hotel room and had sex.

I knew he would be gone by the morning, but when it actually happened, I felt heartbroken. I felt like an object that he used.
And yet, I wanted him to come back.
He had me wrapped around his finger.

I walked out of the hotel and got a ride home. My apartment felt empty, until I saw him. My baby boy came running up to me.

When I say my baby boy, I meant my dog. He was a corgi that I adopted from the pound. I wasn't going to get a dog, I truly wasn't.

I was only there with a friend, she was getting a cat. I was allergic and had no desire to hang out with them. I walked to the dogs and was met with a about seven. I looked at them and pet them through the bars, finally, I saw the corgi all the way at the end.

He had orange fur that was tinted white and gray. His eyes were a deep brown. He waddled up to me, tail wagging. I knelt down and pet him.

"Oh, that's Waffle," One of the workers said.
"Waffle?" I asked giggling, he perked up a little.
"Yup, he's been in and out of this kennel pretty much all of his life," She said sadly, I quickly looked up at her.
"How old is he?" I asked nervously.
"Ten," She sighed. "If no one takes him we will have to put him down." With those words my heart shattered. I looked down at him, his tail wagged, and his brown eyes shone.
"I'll take him."

I smiled at the memory as Waffle crawled all over me.
"Hi baby, did you miss me?" I cooed, he wagged his tail like crazy and ran in circles. "Oh, were you all alone all day?" I asked sympathetically. "I had a.. sleepover," I decided my words carefully, wether he was a dog he was my baby and I didn't want him to know what I did.

"Are you hungry? Let's get you something-" I was interrupted by the door bell. I frowned, who would be here right now? I opened the door and my eyes immediately went wide.
Standing there, was Dan.

"H- hi," I stuttered out, I hadn't talked to him since the night before, he texted me a few times, but I never answered.
"I was hoping you'd be here," He said awkwardly biting his lip. Did he want to talk, or just have sex with me again? "I was scared you moved," He said twiddling his thumbs.
"Come on in," I breathed out, probably a bad decision on my end.

Waffle immediately greeted him with licks and hops. He jumped back a little.
"Who's this?" He asked kneeling down and petting him.
"That's Waffle," I smiled, he looked up at me skeptically. "He came with the name," I explained narrowing my eyes at Dan.
"When did you get him?" He asked standing up, Waffle walked ran off, probably finding some toy.
"Long story," I sighed. "I'm guessing you came here for a reason?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah um-" He nervously walked towards me. He was so close I could feel his breath bouncing off my face. "I just wanted to talk about.. you know."
"Last night?" I asked, I made the mistake at staring at his lips. When I looked back at eyes they glinted a sneaky aura. He leaned in, I eagerly did the same. I was pulled back under the boy that I missed, the same chapped lips, the same warm body heat, and the same feelings- the ones that tore me apart but fixed me at the same time.

Then, I felt his ring and pulled away.
"Dan, we can't do this again," I whispered. "Dan, your married." He flopped down on my couch and buried his face in his hands.
"I know," He muttered, he looked up as my with glossy eyes. "Believe me Phil, I know," He said sadly. "I also know we can't keep doing this. I am so sorry for pulling you into this," His voice cracked, my heart felt shattered. I wanted to be mad at him, I really did, but I couldn't.
He didn't know what to do.

"What do I do Phil? I don't want to lose her," He whispered. "But I don't want to lose you either, I just got you back," He tugged in his hair and groaned.
"Alright, say you don't tell her. You would carry on with your married life, but you would always be keeping an affair from her. You guys would have kids, maybe grow old together, but you will always have this secret Dan," I said. "Maybe one day you tell her, but what if you already have kids? What if  you guys decide to try and keep it together for them? What if your love turns rotten, just like ours did?" I asked, I know it was harsh, but it's what he needed. "Say like you tell her now, if she's as forgiving as you say, maybe she will forgive you after a while. If not, she might want a divorce, but you wouldn't have fallen for someone else if you truly loved her," I finished. He nodded, thinking about my words.

I walked to the door and held it open, he got up and walked out of the door in a daze.
"Dan?" I asked before I close the door. "If you choose the first one," He took a deep breath and a tear fell down my cheek. "Never talk to me again, I can't sit here and watch you fall in love with someone else." I shut the door.

I sat on the couch and cried, I lost him, for good. He loved his wife too much to leave her. Waffle cane waddling up to me.
"At least I still have you," I whispered.