Livewire~ Oh Wonder

I've been depending on the overgrown
Too many lovers that I'll never know
Counting my losses as I let them go
Heavy the water as I sink below
*Dan's point of view*

I had enough, I threw my phone across the room. I was looking through my pictures. I deleted every one he was in. I deleted her number. I never called her back. He never called me back. I sighed. One two three..four. Four lovers in less than a month. Each one of them told me they loved me, but here I was: broken-hearted. I told two of them I loved them, but there I was: unable to talk to them. Why couldn't I keep a lover for more than a week?

Down down deep down
Down deep down
Down down deep down

I thought about him, my most recent. Him, my longest. Beautiful. Blonde hair that shone in the sun. Brown eyes that were the color of chocolate. We met at a party. We chatted. We flirted. We didn't stop there. We were like a match. Our loved burned bright. We were together all the time. But just like the match, the fire died as quickly as it started.

Oh won't you be my livewire?
Make me feel like I'm set on fire
Your love will take me higher and higher
Oh won't you be my livewire?

It ended less than a week, but the fiery feeling left me unsettled. That's what I wanted. I wanted a love the filled me up with these feelings. Love so strong that it felt like there was nothing else. We couldn't hang out with anybody without thinking of the other.We were inseparable. There wasn't one without the other. We were one.

I've been pretending all my shots are blown
Cover my heart up never let it show
I'm shaking it off to find a higher low
So heavy the water
Oh so heavy the water falling

As I laid in my bed, I felt hopeless for that. I felt like I would never find anyone again. Every time I found someone we were in love too fast. We were in love too slow. Why couldn't I find that happy medium? Why couldn't I just fall in love and stay in love? Why was I falling in love and then being buried by dirt? Why? What was wrong with me?

Down down deep down
Down deep down
Down down deep down

I thought about her. Unbelievably pretty. She had curly brown hair that went down to her chest. Her eyes were a piercing blue compared to her dark skin tone. Her lips were the softest things ever. She was gone faster than he was. I got her number from Instagram after flirting with her for a little while. It wasn't long before our texting relationship turned out to be a scam. It was our first date when she turned out to be nothing like I thought. She seemed sincere over the phone, but in person she was impeccably rude.

Can you hear me falling

After both of them, I ended up at a bar. I met her there. I could barely remember what she looked like. I could barely remember her hazel eyes. A drunk one night stand, and it was over. I never even knew her name. I didn't even know her number. When I went back to find her I met someone else, a man who did the same thing.

Down down deep down
Down deep down
Down down deep down

I felt done. I felt like I failed. I just wanted someone. Anyone. I wanted to wake up with someone's name on my mind.Eventually, I figured I'd had enough self pity. I walked into the living room and ignored the empty pit in my heart.

Oh won't you be my livewire?
Make me feel like I'm set on fire
Your love will take me higher and higher
Oh won't you be my livewire?

I barely noticed when Phil sat down next to me.
"You ok?" He asked, I glanced at him.
"I don't know," I muttered.
"What's wrong?" He paused the movie that was on Tv. "You've been locked in your room all day," He pointed out.
"It's just..." I sighed, I didn't know how to explain what I wanted. His face looked reassuring. "Phil, what am I doing wrong?"

"What do you mean?" He frowned.
"Why can't I stay with someone?" I asked, he gave me a knowing look. "I just want.. Remember Jack?" He thought for a moment.
"Blond hair?" He asked, I nodded.
"He was great. I just.. I want a love like that. One that's so great that it's all I can think about. I just want.." I couldn't grasp the words.
"Him back?" He asked, I shook my head.

"I don't want him I just want a love like ours. You know? Something about him.." I couldn't think of why we broke up. I always thought it just didn't work out.
"Dan, you don't want a love like his," Phil stated. I frowned. "He was terrible."
"I thought he was great."
"I know you loved him, but it's because he twisted you to love him. The only reason you always thought about him is because he made it that way. Being in a romantic relationship requires two people. It requires two different people that can love each other without controlling the other. Love is mutual. Whatever you had with him wasn't mutual, it was just..." He took a breath as he looked into my eyes. "Sick."

So hold me when I fall away from the lines
When I'm losing it all, when I'm wasting the light
And hold me when I put my heart in your hands
When I'm losing it all, when I'm wasting it all

That made sense to me. Everything made sense to me. That was why I couldn't fall in love and stay in love. I tried fitting other people's images on what I should be. I tried being what they wanted. I wasn't anything other than what they saw me as. The only thing I was to them was what they saw of themselves in me.

"How do I fix that?" I whispered.
"Well, for starters?" He thought for a moment and then his eyes gleamed. "You've gotta find the right person."
"How do I do that?" I frowned.
"Stop looking." He shrugged.

Oh won't you be my livewire?
Make me feel like I'm set on fire
Your love will take me higher and higher
Oh won't you be my livewire?

That made even more sense. Louise met Liam at a grocery store. They were friends for a long time before they realized they were in love. I also met Phil online, who would've expected for us to fall in love? I thought. Wait, I frowned. Love? I glanced at Phil. How had I not noticed it before? He was honestly beautiful. He was sweet. He was funny. He's everything I've ever wanted. He looked like he was waiting for me to say something.

Make me feel like I'm set on fire
Your love will take me higher and higher
Oh won't you be my livewire, my livewire
Oh won't you be my livewire?
My livewire, my livewire

I kissed him. It was a long and sweet kiss.
"What was that for?" He asked.
"I just wanted to see what you would do."
"Was it what you expected?" A blush crawled up his face. I smiled.
"It was better." I kissed him again.

——————————

Thank you brokencrimes for the idea of this chapter!