Christmas

*Dan's point of view*
*Flashback*

I ran to my room bawling my eyes out. The day before Christmas Eve and it's already been hell. I couldn't go back to my family's house, I just couldn't. I showed up at their house and was immediately kicked out.

Why? Not because I was gay. Not because I dropped out of college and lived with Phil. Not because I didn't have kids, but because they didn't love me. I've always tried so hard to be accepted by them but they just.. won't accept me. They want me to be my brother: Adrian Howell, the perfect kid. Straight A's throughout his whole life, great reputation, anything you could imagine a good kid being, it was him.

I was completely blown in the dust once he was born. My parents forgot all about me once they realized who the better child was.

I didn't think their obsession over him was too bad- until I got home the day before Christmas Eve. They looked, realized who I was, and I was shoved out the door.
I never knew the feeling of my heart shattering to pieces until then.

I rode the train home and- as I said before- went straight to my room bawling. I looked up at the clock: 12:00 in the afternoon. Phil's train just left, he was spending a few days at his parents too.

Realization settled over me.
I was going to spend Christmas alone.
All by myself.

My crying had gotten worse, but I was alone, so I didn't mind. I sobbed breathily as tears poured down my face. I wanted more than anything to have a family to go home to.
But I didn't.

"Dan?" I heard from the hallway. I knew that voice distinctively. It was Phil's, I knew that for sure. I thought his train left? I rubbed my tears away on my shirt and wiped my nose.
"Come in!" I yelled after clearing my throat. Phil walked into my room with a frown as he closed the door quietly. "Are you alright?" He whispered, I shrugged.
"Weren't you supposed to leave?" I asked, I started to think he forgot to take his train.
"You didn't notice me on the couch when you came running in?" He chuckled gently and sat next to me on my bed.
"No," I mumbled. I was too busy bawling my eyes out to notice Phil.

"What's wrong Dan?" He whispered, tears welled up in my eyes, so I looked away. I shook my head, I didn't want to destroy Phil's Christmas spirit by telling him my sob story.
"Alright, I won't push," He said gently. "You can tell me any time though." I nodded, clenching my jaw as I did so.
"Aren't you supposed to be at your parents?" I asked, glancing up at him. He rolled his yes.
"Yeah, but my train went over the boarding limit, so I took the next one. I don't mind too much though," He said looking down at his hands. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" He asked again.
"I'm sure," I muttered. I wasn't mad, I just felt ashamed. Phil always talks about the second child being forgotten, wait until he finds out the first child can be forgotten just as easily.

"Are you still going to spend Christmas with your family?" Phil broke the silence.
"No," I whispered.
"So you're going to spend Christmas alone?" Phil asked, there was sadness in his voice.
"Yeah, but it's fine," I sniffled. "Go have fun with your family." I smiled through my slight tears. I wanted him to enjoy his Christmas.
"I can't leave you here. You can't be alone on Christmas," He said it like it was obvious.
"Why not?" I shrugged.
"Christmas is a time to spend with others," He explained. "Why don't you come with me?" He offered.

"What? No I.. I can't ruin your family's Christmas," I frowned. I would feel bad if I just showed up there.
"You wouldn't ruin it," He laughed. "They love you!" He said excitedly.
"Even if that was true, I couldn't just barge in like that," I shook my head.
"Come on, it's 100% true, they talk fondly of you all the time. They wouldn't care," Phil said grabbing my hands. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, but immediately went away when he let go. His face went a little pink. 

"It's fine," I whispered. "Go have fun with your family, I'll be fine."
"I don't want you spending Christmas alone. I took an almost empty train, you'll easily get a ticket. I'll even pay for it," Phil offered gently. "Come with me," He pleaded.
"Are you sure they won't mind?" I asked.
"Positive."

I ended up taking the midnight train with Phil. He didn't push me to talk about my family or why I was so upset, that was something I loved about him. The more he talked about his family and their traditions, the more excited I got.

After the train ride we got an Uber to Phil's old house. Phil knocked on the door while I stood awkwardly behind him.

Phil's mum opened it and he was enveloped in a hug. He stood back, keeping me unhidden.
"Mum, I hope you don't mind, but Dan had nowhere to go for Christmas so.." Phil trailed off, he didn't need to finish.
"Oh! What a nice surprise! Of course I don't mind! The more the merrier!" She exclaimed. She looked genuinely happy to see me, I was surprised by that. She leaned in for a hug.
"Hi Mrs. Lester!" I smiled hugging her lightly. "Thanks for taking me in!"
"Of course, you know you're always welcome here!" She laughed as we walked through the door. "And please, call me Catherine."

I talked to Phil's dad, his brother Martyn, and Cornelia. It was easy to enjoying being there. Eventually Phil's mum came into the living room, stopping them for chatting.
"Alright, these two have had a long journey, let's let them sleep," She said shooing them out of the room and leading us to a spare bedroom.
"I hope you don't mind sleeping together, we only have two bedrooms," Catherine said sadly.
"Oh no, it's fine, thanks," I smiled at her, I didn't want to give her a hassle.
"Oh good," She smiled and walked out of the bedroom door.

I laid across from Phil in the dark midnight room. The only sound was his heavy breathing. I didn't even know if he was awake.
"My parents kicked me out," I whispered.
"What?" He asked quietly, I could hear he was tired.
"That's why I'm not spending Christmas with them," Tears stung my eyes.
"Oh Dan," I heard Phil say sadly. He pulled me tight against his chest. "It's ok." I cried my eyes out, it was nice having someone to comfort me when I did, for the first time.

That Christmas was the best Christmas I'd ever had. I ate dinner with Phil and his family. I never realized until then how crappy my Christmas dinner back at home was. It was grand with a lot of food, but it was quiet. There was always this hatred floating around the room. I couldn't stand it.

At Phil's, it felt like they threw happiness around like confetti. They laugh and told hundreds of childhood stories as they ate. They were like those families you see on TV that make you think, no family is that perfect.

After you eat the best meal of your life, you walk into the living room to open presents. When they have presents off they look as happy as the person opening them. Phil's family just loved giving.

At my Christmas my family just gave presents and didn't care if you liked them. If you didn't like it, you got the: be appreciative of what you got!

But here, they gave presents to each other they knew they would like. Everyone just seemed so happy of each others presence that I loved watching them open presents too. I didn't even need a present, I was perfectly content watching them.

Catherine turned to me all of the sudden and handed me a present.
"Is this for Phil?" I frowned, she laughed.
"Of course not, it's for you silly!" She smiled.
"Catherine you didn't.. I.. you didn't have to get  me anything," I said in awe. I couldn't believe she got me a present.
"Of course I did! I couldn't just let you sit here! It's from all of us," She tilted her head.
"But I didn't get you guys anything," I said quietly. In my family I was always forced to get everyone at least three things with my own money. She handed me the small package.
"We didn't expect you to, come on, open it!" She said excitedly.

I opened up and teared up at what was in front of me. To other people, it wasn't much, but to me, it was everything. It was two photos from dinner. In the first one, Phil's whole family was smiling at the camera with their dinner in front of them. In the second, I was there too. I remember Phil yanking me into that photo, I was a scared to ruin their family portrait, but he forced me to be in it anyway. I looked at the photo, I was happy to be there, it was all over my face.

Below the photos was a small letter.
We're on odd family (not only because there are five of us) but with you, it evens out.

"I love it," I blinked away the tears in my eyes as I held the small box close to my chest. "Thank you, for everything."

I learned something from the Lester's that day: everyone has a place somewhere, even if they don't know it yet.