Flirting Is Hard

*Phil's point of view*

I took a deep breath. How hard could it be? He wasn't that cute. I needed to collect myself. I couldn't walk in and be all stuttery and blushy like this. Dan was a definite ten out of ten. People better than me have already flirted with him, keeping calm and collected. If I walked in like this he definitely wouldn't pick me with all the guys after him.

It made me so angry though. It wasn't hard for me to flirt. I've been told I'm very good at it. Now though, this one new guy moved in next to me and I'm completely flustered. And what did I have to offer him? I had some cookies. He probably didn't even like cookies.

I groaned. I've been standing on this dumb porch for five minutes. I needed to knock on the door eventually. All I had to do was knock on the door, welcome him to the neighborhood, and then ask him out to dinner sometime. I took a few more deep breaths, fixed my quiff, put the cookies behind my back, and knocked on the door. My heart almost broke when it didn't open, but after a few seconds it did.

"Hey," Dan gave me a warm smile. His brown eyes shone. My tongue just about fell down into my throat. Come on, Phil, I thought to myself. I hoped I didn't look as stupid as I felt.
"Uh.. hi," I smiled at him. Alright not bad.
"You're... Phil... right?" He leant against the door frame. I don't know how that was hot but it definitely was. "You live next to me, don't you?" He asked.

"Yeah... I-um, here." I brought the cookies out from behind my back. Smooth, Phil. "I just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood," I smiled, his smile dropped, which made my heart drop and my head scream oh no oh no oh no oh no what what what.

"Sorry, I'm on a diet," He sighed sadly. I widened my eyes. Just my luck. I couldn't just say hi and save the embarrassment.
"Oh, I'm sorry... I wanted...I just um-" Suddenly, Dan laughed and grabbed the cookies out of my hands. 
"I'm kidding, I love cookies," Dan smiled.
"Oh, good," I smiled back. Ok, Phil, now ask him out. "Bye, then." I waved and walked down the steps. Dammit.

"Hey!" I turned around. "I just ordered some pizza and I don't really have a lot of friends here... want to eat with me?" He offered.
"Yeah," I said immediately after he asked it. God, now I sound like an idiot. "Yeah, that would be cool," I cleared my throat and and walked into his flat. Better?

We walked in sat on his couch, he had two Dominoes pizzas. He sat down and gestured for me to sit down and take some. If this is a date it's the best one I've ever been on. He took his own slice and took a bite.

"Wow, it's like we're meant to be," I laughed, and then my eyes widened once I realized what I just said. That sounded so cheesy. "It's just.. this is like the same set up I had a few nights ago," I swallowed down my food before I could choke on it and embarrass myself even further.

"Yeah, Dominoes is the best here. I've only had it once or twice," Dan agreed. As if I needed another reason to like him.
"So, you come here often?" I asked. Oh my god. Was that a pick up line? And a generic pick up line. Oh god. Oh god. Dan frowned.
"You mean here... in my flat... where I live?" He looked around and giggled. "Or to Dominoes or London all together?" He tilted his head.
"I... um... L-London I guess," I stuttered out. It all of the sudden got really hot. I hoped I wasn't sweating as bad as I thought.

"Nah, I just moved here. I visited here a lot, so I decided to just move here instead of the constant train rides," Dan shrugged, I nodded.
"Yeah, it's a little confusing there, I get lost all the time," I said sheepishly, luckily it made Dan laugh. Hopefully that's actual laughter and not pity laughter.
"Really?" He giggled.
"Yeah, my friend had to get the people to make and announcement for me because he couldn't find me." I rolled my eyes. Why am I telling him all of my embarrassing moments?

"Oh my god," Dan laughed again, which was worth the blush crawling up my cheeks.
"Yeah I always get lost. Especially in your eyes." For a second I thought, wow, that was good, smooth. And then I realized what I just said and thought, of all the things you could've said you chose that phrase?!
"Thanks," Dan laughed again, taking another slice of pizza. I didn't know if he took that as a joke or a flirty remark, and I actually didn't want to know at that moment.

"How long have you been living in London?" Dan asked after we ate some more.
"A few years now. I grew up in Rawtenstall and then I moved to Manchester for a little bit, and now I'm here," I explained.
"Yeah I've been to Manchester. I love the eye, it's so pretty," Dan nodded.
"Not as pretty as you," I smiled, he, again, laughed. I wanted to hit knock myself in the head to gain some sense. Why are the only things I can think of generic pick up lines?

By the end of the night we finished the pizzas. I almost saved myself from embarrassment by just making small talk, but then of course I said something about him falling from heaven. I'm an idiot. Im such an idiot. Dan burst out laughing for the fiftieth time this evening. God, he probably though I was such a loser.

"You're funny," He smiled at me, I could feel my blush creep up my cheeks.
"I'm trying to flirt with you, alright?" I buried my face in my hands. I heard Dan laugh again.
"Obviously, how many more awful pick-up lines do you have?" He raised his eyebrows up at me. I suddenly stood up.

"You know what?! I'm sorry ok?! I'm usually really good at flirting, but you're just... you're just... you're really cute! And I know that's forward of me, but I can't not say anything like that around you because you make me so nervous... and I just wanted to impress you! So, I'm sorry I have generic pick-up lines, but that's all the comes to mind when I talk to you! So if you're going to be a jerk about it then I'll just leave!" I was about to walk away until I noticed him giggling. "What?!" I frowned.

"I like you, too, Phil. And I'm laughing because you're so cute and funny and adorable and so fucking worried that I'm gonna turn you down. Who would ever turn that face down?" Dan smiled up at me. I swallowed hard thinking about his words. Suddenly I felt shy.
"I... um... you... like me?" I asked quietly.
"Just a little bit." Dan stood up and walked over to me. "I sort of invited you over because I wanted to get to know you more. A friend of mine was supposed to come over, but I figured I'd rather have you over then him," He shrugged.

"Oh," I looked down at my feet with a smile. How had I not realized he liked me sooner?! "So, would you like to go on a real date with me some time?" I asked hopefully.
"I would," He looked down at his feet, too. That helped me gain some of my flirtatious courage back. I stood tall as I said my next words.
"Cool, I'll see you Friday night at seven," I nodded and handed him a small piece of paper with my number on it. He agreed and walked me to the door. I waved and stepped out.

"Hey, Dan?" I asked once he was about to shut the door, he gave me a questioning look. "Are you a piece of cake?" I smirked.
"Am I what?" He laughed.
"A piece of cake?" I repeated. He just laughed again and titled his head at me. "'Cause I want a piece of that!" I winked and walked away.
"You're a dork!" He called after me. This time I was the one laughing. Good job, Phil, I thought. Generic pick-up lines do work.