Radioactive Leak

*Phil's point of view*

They say it started with the smart phones. They say that at exactly 6:52 PM a green light flashed across every single smart phone in existence. This green light signaled a radioactive pulse in the atmosphere. The sight of this went through the eyes, leaking through the cornea, to the pupil, the lens, and then to the optic nerve.
After that?
It went straight to the brain.

The cerebrum to be exact.
The part of your brain that controls your senses.

This leak proceeds to infect this part of the brain.. and then it goes to others. It's already attacked your vision, and then it attacks the sense of smell. All you can smell is the pungent odor of rotting. The smell goes straight to the taste buds, destroying each and every one of them. The smell is so bad, its intoxicating. So intoxicating, all you want to do is devour it. All while you want to devour this odor, the leak is spreading throughout the brain. Your thoughts become unclear and scrambled, and all you can think about is how badly you want that smell.

You go to your family, your friends.. you can smell it on them.
What do you do?
You crave it. You crave it so bad that you go after them without realizing who they are at all. All you want, is them.

Your sense of hearing is constant ringing, but your sense of touch is heightened by ten.
You can feel each and every hair follicle before you eat it. Sometimes you succeed, but your teeth are rotten and decaying, so you can only take a few bites before the leak invades their body. It takes an hour, but now, the disease has spread.

Some were lucky enough not to be looking at their phones, they didn't even see the green light. Others got lucky that the people around them didn't either.

But for most of the population, this wasn't the case. Most were infected, on their way to infect more.

At the time, I was napping on the couch. I lived alone, so I didn't even realize this was happening.
That is, until I looked out the window and saw my neighbor with sickly green skin and hollowed out eyes. He snapped his head backwards and sprinted into the house.
I didn't know it at the time, but he was about to infect his pregnant wife.

That was a month ago.
How I made it this far?
At times like this, I was thankful for being an introvert with anxiety.

I camped out in my house for the month, waiting for the right moment. When it came I got in my car and drove away from this city. Taking only survival things with me.

I learned three things from driving away.
1.) Zombies don't like loud noises, so stay quiet and you'll probably be fine.
2.) Zombies are slow, so a car can very easily win the race.
3.) If you hit a Zombie, it will die. (Sorry Mr. Frank)

I went as far from the city as possible, I went to the middle of no where. I found a large house. My gun and I checked it out.
Fortunately, no body seemed to live there.
Unfortunately, it seemed to already have been raided.

The couches were flipped, a piano in the living room was shattered to pieces, the cabinets were strewn open, there were cans and boxed food all over, there was pictures broken and on the ground. Upstairs the bed was stripped of sheets, there wasn't a pair of decent clothing, (other than short shorts, a few crop tops, and a selection of baseball caps) and medicine littered the bathroom floor.

I walked back downstairs and shut the door.
Fortunately, Zombies hadn't figured out how to use doors yet.
Unfortunately, they have figured out how to crash through windows. I blocked them off the best I could with large pieces of cardboard and wood. I had to get creative and use some couch too. I was guessing the family that lived here was already dead, so I was hoping they wouldn't mind me barging in like this.

You may be wondering, what about my family? To be honest, I didn't really care about them. They kicked me out, to say the least.

I was living on my own by the time that I was sixteen(fake ID). Don't worry though, the hatred of each other was mutual. The only person my parents seemed to care about was my brother.

I wondered where that lucky bastard was. I'm guessing mummy's first baby boy was sitting on his phone at the time.
That's all he and his lazy ass ever did.

I'd never had a girlfriend for two reasons.
1.) I didn't want one.
2.) I am gay.

I nibbled on my granola bar as I wandered around the dark apartment. It was reaching night and the cold air was starting to seep its way into my body. I was looking for a blanket when I caught my eye on a picture, the only one left on the mantle of the broken fireplace.

I picked it up and was brought to the prettiest boy I'd ever seen. He had curly brown hair and the most beautiful brown eyes. They did look like they wanted death though. He had dimples and on his pink cheeks and had on a bright white turtle neck. He was hugging a little girl who I was assuming was his little sister. They looked almost identical. Behind him was a boy.. his brother? He didn't look like him, but looked like the father behind him. The mother looked just like the beautiful boy and the girl.

The only thing I didn't like about the picture is how they looked. They were all wearing matching whites and were all standing in front of this house.(which looked a lot nicer before the whole zombie apocalypse thing) These outfits were much different from my black jacket and black skinny jeans to go along with it. The main reason I was hating this picture, it practically screamed, I'm about ten times richer than you!

Then I listened to the sound of the gun being cocked.
"Drop your weapon and I won't shoot." I instantly did what the voice asked and lifted my palms in the air, surrendering. "Turn around slowly and don't talk, or I'll shoot your dick off."
"Shit." I muttered under my breath. I then instantly shut up, I was quite fond of my dick and I wasn't in the mood to lose it yet.