For Forever~ Dear Evan Hansen

End of May or early June
This picture-perfect afternoon we shared
Drive the winding country road
Grab a scoop at À La Mode
And then we're there

*Dan's point of view*
Set in High School

"Why would you get vanilla?" Phil glanced at me from the driver's seat.
"It's my favorite." I shrugged and licked the large scoop on the sweet cone.
"But it's so.. plain," Phil teased. "And their vanilla tastes like lemons."
"It does not." I rolled my eyes at him. "You got peach. Does that even taste good?"
"Not really," He said licking the edges.
"Why are you eating it then?" I frowned.
"Why not?" He smiled at me.

His smile was contagious, so of course I smiled back. I could feel my face heat up as I looked away. Trees surrounded us as we drove down the winding road. I guessed about five more minutes until we got to our spot.

An open field that's framed with trees
We pick a spot and shoot the breeze
Like buddies do
Quoting songs by our favorite bands
Telling jokes no one understands
Except us two
And we talk and take in the view

I smiled once we stopped. A long, green, open field awaited us. There were trees scattered around. Our spot waited there, under a large oak. We got out and walked to it. We laid in the shade and pointed out the shapes in the sky. We avoided school, it was eating us up, so we didn't mention it. Phil knew I was having trouble with my classes. He knew better than anyone that it was the last thing I wanted to talk about.

He was good at distractions. Great at them actually. No matter what situation we were in, if I needed him, he'd be there. Just the other day I was stressed during class. The girl in front of me was Ella Thompson. I absolutely hated her. She annoyed the living shit out of me. She was a giant know-it-all while I was a useless know-nothing-at-all. I had no idea what I was doing and if she would've called my questions stupid one more time, I could've slapped her. Luckily, Phil started to imitate her every word. He ended up getting in trouble, but it cheered me up. Making it one hundred percent worth it.

All we see is sky for forever
We let the world pass by for forever
Feels like we could go on for forever this way
Two friends on a perfect day

"I wonder how that cloud formed into a duck." I tilted my head at the fluffy white in the blue sky. Phil followed my glance.
"Well," Phil's voice turned nasally and annoying. "Based off of my useless project I did for fun, the reason we think clouds form shapes is because of a strange metal piece in our brain," Phil started his imitation of Ella. I rolled my eyes at him, but I couldn't help the smile on my face. "This metal piece causes a strange eye hues that will change the shapes of clouds. My hypothesis is that we can change what we see. So if we really wanted, we could see giant dicks all over the sky!" Phil spread his hands, a laugh escaped my mouth before I could even think.

"You're actually the worst," I shoved him.
"Hey, you're the one who chose to be friends with me," He grinned.
"Nah, I got stuck with you."

We walk a while and talk about
The things we'll do when we get out of school
Bike the Appalachian trail or
Write a book or learn to sail
Wouldn't that be cool?

It wasn't long before we got bored of watching the clouds. We walked through the trees.
"Do you think I'm ever going to get into uni?" I asked Phil.
"Dan, that's a silly question." He rolled his eyes at me.
"I'm serious, Phil. I'm doing terrible in my classes... what if I never get out of my own house? I mean.. I don't even know what I want to do when I get older," I sighed.