"Long day?"

*Dan's point of view*

I finished putting on my apron and grabbed my notepad. I sighed, I need the money, I repeated in my head. I put the green hat over my curls and put the notepad in the apron pocket. I looked at the clock on the wall, 10:05 pm.

"Howell!" I heard my name being yelled from outside the room I was in. I need the money.
"Coming!" I yelled back. I walked out of the small room and went to the cash register area.
"You were supposed to be out here five minutes ago." My boss said glancing at his watch.
"Sorry," I mumbled fixing my apron.
"You're lucky we aren't busy today, get to work," He commanded. He walked away and I rolled my eyes, but on a smile. I need the money.

I looked around, there weren't many people. There was a girl with a mix of blond and pink hair. She looked to be studying with a boy with caramel brown skin and dark brown eyes. Although, they weren't studying very well, they couldn't keep their eyes off of each other.

I walked up to them with a smile. Most times my smile was fake, but I loved love, so I was actually a little excited to walk up to them.
"Hi there, would either of you like anything?" I asked, notepad in hand. They looked up at me, snapping out of their love eyes session.
"Oh um... could I have a latte please?" The girl asked with a blush. I wrote her order on the notepad.
"Of course, and you?" I asked the guy.
"Um.. I'll have the same please," He responded.
"Alrighty then." I smiled and doubled the order.

I walked to the other customer in the room. This girl had brown hair and tan skin.
"Hi, what would you like today?" I asked. She was so busy tapping away on her computer she didn't even realize I said anything.
"Ma'am?" I asked a little louder.
She looked up at me with bright blue eyes, a light blush appeared on her face.
"Sorry, just a little busy," She apologized.
"Oh, that's fine," I waved my hand aimlessly in the air. "I understand, so what would you like?"
"Um.. could I just have some tea please?" She asked, I wrote it sloppily on the paper.
"Sure, I'll be right back with that." I walked away and got to work.

I started to make the tea and the lattes. When I finished both I glanced at the boy and the girl "studying." I smirked as I hatched a plan in my head. I usually surprised my costumers with latte art, this was a little special. I placed hearts on each of their drinks and put them on the tray.

I walked over to the boy and girl and set down the lattes, they wore matching blushes as they realized what was in them. The girl looked up at me, I winked and walked to the girl with the brown hair. I set down her tea.

I was about to walk back to my station when I saw a guy sitting at the table by the window. He had papers sprawled out my the table and three empty coffee cups. He had his pale hands fiddling with his now messy raven black hair. I sighed as I walked up to him. I felt bad for the guy, he was obviously stressed.

"Long day?" I asked, I knew the feeling. Hell, the only reason I was here this late was because the guy that was supposed to take this shift was "sick." The man looked up to me with the most intensely blue eyes I've ever seen. They were a mix of blue, green, and yellow. I was sad to see how tired they looked.
"You know it," He chuckled.
"Work?" I asked, I tried to keep my eyes off his papers, but I couldn't help it. I noticed that he was studying law. I looked back to him.
"Yeah," He sighed.
"Are you studying law? Sorry for snooping," I bit my lip, his eyes lit up a little.
"Oh, that's fine, it's for an English paper I'm writing," He sighed.
"Uni? What school?" I asked.
"York," He smiled.
"No kidding? A friend of mine went there," I smiled.
"Yeah? What did he go for?" He asked.
"A health and wellness degree," I responded.

"Do you go to uni?" He asked.
"Well I went to the University of Manchester for about a year to study law actually. I realized very quickly, it wasn't for me." I nodded.
"Well.. could you help me?" He asked hopefully. I looked around, my boss was gone for at least a half an hour and there was really no one else in the shop.
"I'm not really busy, but I could get in trouble for slacking off," I made a dramatic sigh, "Since you're cute... I guess I could help." I winked and sat down across from him, he had a smirk across his face.
"How many times has that line been ruined by straight guys?" His pink lips were turned into a smile now.
"You'd be surprised," I laughed quietly.
"Luckily I'm not straight," He bit his lip.
"I'm Dan." I held out my hand.
"I'm Phil." He shook it.

We flirted the whole time I helped him, but he eventually finished. He was actually really nice and funny.

"Are you going to go back to Uni for something else?" Phil asked getting closer. I couldn't help but realize how close our lips were. I wanted to connect them.
"Probably not. Uni life in general just-" I started to say.
"Howell! Back to work!" Interrupted me, my boss.
"Shit," I muttered. "Sorry, I have to go." I got up. Phil looked at the clock.
"Crap, I was supposed to leave like twenty minutes ago." He scrambled all of his things into his arms. "Do you think I could get one more cup of coffee?" He asked walking with me to the counter.
"Sure," I smiled.

I filled the cup up and wrote a little note on the bottom.

Call me sometime, maybe we could continue this "date!"
(*my number*)
If not, you know where to find me!
Sincerely,
The boy from the coffee shop

I ended the note with a heart and handed it to him. He walked out the door with a flustered goodbye.

I may hate this job, but he made it a lot better.