The Office Pt. 2

*Phil's point of view*

My nerves were buzzing as I walked into work the next day. I got to the doors and just about turned around and walked back out to my car. This was not going to be good. I broke off my engagement to Alyssa. I felt awful about it, but after going on a little... date... with Dan, I realized that the feelings I had weren't for Alyssa, they were, in fact, for Dan. I knew it was mean and I should've told her the second I even suspected something, but I was so happy when she gave her ring back to me. It was an enormous relief.

But, Alyssa, obviously, was not happy about what had happened. I couldn't exactly tell her the real reason I broke up with her because I think she would just about killed Dan. I just explained that I was sick of the stuff she was putting me through. She didn't like it but... well... I didn't give her much choice.

Now that I had done it, I felt nervous as hell. I was extremely nervous to walk into work because the news was traveling fast. I was mainly nervous on what Dan would say. If I hadn't guessed his feelings correctly, then there was no point to this whole thing. Plus, then I could never tell him the way I felt.

When I walked into the office, I was immediately greeted by Felix. "Everyone, welcome the new and single Phil!" He announced to the whole group.

I felt a blush beat up my cheeks and risked a look around. Most were confused, and some were surprised. Taking a look at Chris from accounting and he wore a judgmental look. He always was sort of a prude, even if I knew he was sleeping around with Pj. But, whatever, I wasn't going to be a dick to him because he had my back when I needed it.

Finally, the real reaction I wanted to see: Dan's. Dan had gone back to his home town Wokingham after our little "date". He said he needed to figure things out, and today was his first day back. I looked quickly at Dan, who looked beyond surprised. Maybe even... mad?... about it. I looked away, wondering what he looked upset about. I decided to turn my attention to Felix, trying to keep my cool. I put my stuff down, trying to distract myself from my racing heart.

"How did you know?" I asked him genuinely. As far as I was concerned, he and Alyssa weren't all buddy buddy.

"Alyssa came into my office and quit this morning. She talked all about how she was dumped by you and how you broke her heart and-" I couldn't take it, I walked out of the room and into the snack lounge. I sat down on one of the tables and buried my face into my arms. I squeezed my eyes shut, don't cry don't cry please, I begged myself.

Felix was like that. He didn't have much of a filter and genuinely didn't understand when he was pushing limits too far. Sometimes he was trying so hard for people to like him he forgot about what things he should or shouldn't say. I didn't blame him for it, because that was just him. I just really wished he closed his damned mouth sometimes.

I heard the door open and immediately threw my head up. "Sorry, I just-" I quickly wiped the tears out of my eyes, only to realize that it was Dan. I let go of a breath I had been holding in.
"Oh... Dan." I sighed.

"You okay?" He asked, sitting down across from me. I sniffled and shrugged, looking away from his scrutinizing eyes. They aren't mean, just intense, like they were looking into my mind. "I don't blame you... you know. She treated you awful, so whatever reason you broke up with her for... she had it coming," Dan reassured me. It made me smile, but I still felt guilty.

"Here, I'll grab us some coffee." Dan got up. When we got back, we had a long chat, which actually got my mind off of Alyssa. It was nice, just talking to Dan. But something was off about him. I didn't know what, but he was just... acting weird. I didn't know if it was because of us not seeing each other for a while, but I didn't like it.