Radioactive Leak Pt. 4

*Dan's point of view*

I glanced across the fire, Phil was eating one of his granola bars. I, on the other hand couldn't eat. I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that I won't get the proper energy boost and that I'm gonna need that (whether an apocalypse is going on or not) and blah blah blah blah blah.

I couldn't eat though. I had this feeling in my chest I've never had before. I've felt it ever since Phil fell asleep on my chest. I had a girlfriend before all of this, I never even felt this with her.
And I was going to propose.

Not only did I have a girlfriend, I've never felt this way about a guy before. The more I looked at him though, the more I couldn't help it. I shook my head and wiped the tears out of my eyes, had to pay attention to what was happening right now.

"We should get going." I stood up and Phil followed. "There's a store up ahead, we'll get some lunch," I said. We walked for a few hours, Phil talked to me the whole time. I swear to god, he never shut up. There was a fucking zombie apocalypse going on and he still came up to things to talk about.

"Can a zombie die from hunger?" He asked.
"What?" I had no idea what he was talking about.
"Well like, aren't they already dead?" He asked.
"Is this seriously what you're thinking about right now?" I raised my eyebrows at him.
"You're right." He nodded. We walked in silence for a little bit. I resisted the temptation to grab his hand.

"You never answered my question," He said quietly, I rolled my eyes.
"I would think yes. They are technically humans," I said after thinking for a minute.
"But.. aren't they dead?" He frowned.
"Phil." I looked over at him. "Please just stop."
"Ok."

I listened to the crunch of the leaves as we walked. It was one of my favorite noises in the world.

"You know, my friends called me Fumble Feet," Phil said after almost falling.
"Yeah? Is it because you stumble a lot?" I asked, I kept his clumsiness in mind. I didn't want him to fall when we were running from a heard of zombies.
"Yup! What were you called?" He asked.
"I was called Bear." I smiled wistfully.
"Why?" He tilted his head.
"Because I was like a bear, if I came after you, you can bet your ass you'll be scared." I smiled down at him, he gave me a scared look back.
"You're kidding right?" He asked. I walked ahead of him to the store.
"Dan?" He asked. "I'm going to pretend you're kidding."

We got toward the store and I immediately saw the zombies in the car park. There wasn't many, only about ten. Three were by the entrance, two were scattered around the car park and the rest were pretty much right in front of us. I knew the second we came out they'd attack.
"Shoot," I whispered to Phil.
"What?" He frowned at me.
"Shoot at the close ones, they're in a bunch. They are about 45 meters away, a good distance for your Ruger." I said looking at him.
"My what?!" He asked frantically.
"Your pistol." I rolled my eyes. He picked it up. "Have you shot a gun before?" I winced, I was hoping he'd at least be a little experienced.
"Yeah.. once.. maybe twice." He said aiming the gun.
"Breath out when you shoot, and be prepared for the kick," I thought for a moment. "Not that there's a big one with that particular gun. You have about a," I pause taking everything in. "25% chance of hitting one per shot."

Phil shot 10 times and hit about four, that got attention from the rest, they all started to wander over here. I got out my AK-47 and and went full rage on them. The last one dropped and I slipped my gun back in my back.
"Alright, let's go. Be ready though, there might be more inside." I got up and Phil followed.  I put my Maxim 9 back in my hands and entered the store.

Luckily, there weren't many inside.
"Meet back at the front." I said walking away. I went to the produce section and found a salad that hadn't gone bad yet. I ate most of it and walked back to the front. I met Phil with a bag of chips.

"Really, that's what you grabbed?" I raised my eyebrow at him. I grabbed a few other light snacks, a water bottle, and a flashlight and we walked the rest of the night.

As we were about to stop, I was suddenly grabbed by arms. It happened so fast I dropped my gun. The creature grabbed my neck before I could call out to Phil. I could smell the rotting flesh before I could see it. I saw my life flash before my eyes. What if I killed Phil on accident after? I couldn't believe this is how I was going to end.
In the hands of a fucking zombie.

Luckily Phil noticed I wasn't responding to his random question and quickly turned around. His eyes met mine, a beautiful sight to see before I died.

Only, I didn't.

Phil shot about three times, but eventually it hit the zombie, we both dropped. I got up and wiped the leaves off my clothes.
"Thanks, I-"

Phil interrupted me with a hug. He pulled away.
"Sorry, I just got really scared for a moment." I could see his breathing was fast, and his eyes were wide. I tried to hide my smile at his cute gesture.

I made another fire and set up the tent again as it reached night. Phil cooked some hot dogs by the fire. I thought about Phil's life and family back at home. I couldn't believe that he didn't even care about them, but yet, he cared so much for me.
"I was in the kitchen when it happened," I took a deep breath. I figured it was time he knew my story. He looked up at me. "My girlfriend was talking on the phone with my family. They were in the car, on their way home. She and my family got along really well. I was home for the first time in weeks. I'd been dating her for three years. I was planning on proposing," My voice cracked. "I was making us.. pizza rolls or something," I laughed quietly at the memory. "Then.. it happened. She came running at me and well.." I looked at the ground, I would burst out crying if I continued. 
"You had to kill her," Phil whispered. "Didn't you?" He asked, I nodded. 
"She called me Dan," I said quietly.

That night, it was hard to mourn over her like I usually did, 'cause Phil and I, we fell asleep just a little bit closer.