"Will you be my Prince?" Pt. 2

"Who are you?" The raven haired boy emerged from the trees. He puffed his chest out and raised his head up high. His voice was loud and scary for the smaller boy. His father always told him this showed power. "And why are you here?" Philip asked. The smaller boy looked up at him with wide eyes.

"I.. I um.." The little boy's eyes started to water, the older boy reminded him of his father when he was mad. He hoped this boy wouldn't beat him. Philip immediately felt bad. Unlike his father he didn't like being mad and commanding.

"I'm sorry for yelling," He said gently. He walked over to the younger boy. "I'm Phil," The older boy stuck out his hand. The younger boy didn't know what to do. He had been treated like scum his whole life, nobody had ever introduced themselves to him. "Are you going to shake my hand?" Phil asked.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you know, meet someone, you shake hands and say your name, like this," Phil demonstrated by shaking his own hand. "Now you try." Phil stuck out his hand again.

"I'm Phil," He repeated. This time the younger boy shook his hand.
"I-I'm... Daniel," He whispered. "But If you want, you can call me Boy.. or Peasant, or whatever," He shrugged. Phil frowned.
"Well, what would you liked to be called?"
"Well.. I mean, my parents always called me Boy.. or sometimes Daniel," He whispered.
"Where are your parents?" Phil looked around. The younger boy looked down at his feet.
"I ran away from home.. they were mean to me," He looked around. "I guess this is my new home." Phil thought for a moment.

"Well, since this is your new home and you don't live under your parents rules anymore, you can be called whatever you want. So, what would you like me to call you?" Phil asked.
"I.. um, I kind of like the name Dan," The younger boy shuffled his feet.
"Well, then I'll call you Dan," Phil smiled.

As the sun went down, they ran around the woods. They played until they couldn't play anymore. Neither of them had ever been able to do this. Phil came to the woods, but he never had anyone to play with. He and his parents had tons of people around all the time, but none of them would play with Phil. Dan didn't have anyone to play with either. People never came to visit his family. Even if he went to the areas other kids hung out, they never played with him. All they did was laugh and make fun of his clothes. This was the first time either of them actually had a friend.

"How old are you?" Phil asked as they sat on a log. If he was going to hang out with the younger boy he wanted to know how young he actually was.
"I turned eight today," Dan whispered.
"It's your Birthday too?! I turned twelve!" Phil exclaimed, Dan smiled widely.

As they sat there, Phil smiled. This was the first time someone talked to him for him. Most people only talked to him because he was a Prince. Here Dan was, not even realizing royalty was sitting next to him. Phil's thoughts were interrupted when Dan's stomach growled.

"You hungry?" Phil asked, Dan nodded. "Yeah, I am too, I didn't eat dinner."
"Me neither," Dan whispered.
"You're quiet, you know that?" Phil joked. Phil looked around, suddenly, a thought popped in his head. "Hey, what are you going to eat out here?" Phil asked.
"Well, I haven't eaten for four days, so I figure I just wouldn't eat," Dan shrugged. "I've made it so far," Phil's eyes widened at the words.
"You haven't eaten for four days?!"

"No," Dan mumbled.
"I would let you come eat at my house, but my dad would yell at me," Phil sighed. "If you want I could bring you food every day."
"It's ok, that's a lot of food."
"How about this: you don't have to pay me with money, but you can pay me in friendship. I'll come here everyday with food as long as you play with me," Phil offered, sticking out his hand. Phil enjoyed this time in the woods. He really didn't want to see the day it would end.
"Deal," Dan shook his hand.

"Alright, well I have to go home, my parents will get worried. See you tomorrow," Phil started to walk back to his castle. Dan looked around and found a small area were there was a lot of grass. He laid down and soon fell asleep. Even here was better than his old place.

They didn't know if then, but this would become a daily thing. Phil would walk from the palace to the woods. He always carried a small meal and always steered clear of the guards. Every day they would greet each other happily. They'd sit and talk and laugh. They both enjoyed their time. Phil finally got to sit and actually relax, he hated sitting with rich people all day. Sitting here with Dan was ten times better.

What neither of them really realized, the more they stayed, the more they talked, the more they laughed and teased; the more they fell in love. This wouldn't be a bad thing if they were normal, but Phil Lester happened to be turning into a King. What did that mean? It was going to be time to find a bride.

——————————
Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!!