Behind the Mask

*Phil's point of view*

I rushed to our bathroom and locked the door. Dan wasn't home yet, but I knew it wouldn't be long. I took off my suit and examined my side. There was a large cut running along my ribs. The bruise around it had turned blue and purple. I winced as I brought the cloth to it. After tons of gauze and antibiotic, I threw on a sweatshirt and wrapped my suit in a towel, I'd wash it later. I looked at my face in the mirror, I didn't look too scraped up this time- easy to hide for once. I walked out the door and threw my suit in the wash.

As I was walking into our bedroom, I was met by Dan. "Oh.. I didn't know you were home from work!" I exclaimed, his eyes widened.
"Uh, yeah! I just got home.. I didn't want to bother you or anything," He smiled.
"Hey," I grabbed his hands. "You always bother me," I smirked.
"I hate you." He shoved me and walked down the hallway.

"No you don't!" I followed him into the kitchen and sat on one of the chairs.
"I don't know," Dan pretended to think. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Alright fine, you're right, I love you," He smiled. "I was thinking
Chinese for dinner? I'm not in the mood to cook, I've had a long day at work," Dan offered.
"Sounds good to me!" I smiled.

That's how our day went. We spent a long night talking and then walked to our room. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep, especially with Dan laying on my chest. I knew the second I woke up though, that he didn't get the same amount of sleep. The bags under his eyes were large and his eyes were red. Dan never could fall asleep easily, he had a rough past. He didn't tell me much and I didn't push. I knew one day he would tell me.

"Morning," I smiled at him, he snuggled closer to me and smiled back. 
"Morning," He said, the bags under his ever present. I ignored them and pulled him close. A few hours later we were still sat like that, as close as can be. Eventually Dan decided it was time to get up.

"Shit!" He suddenly jumped out bed. "Work called..." He mumbled grabbing his clothes and unplugging his phone. "They're gonna kill me," He rambled as he rushed out the door. "Fuck! They're gonna kill me!" I heard him shout from the hallway. He suddenly ran back and gave me a peck. "I love you!" He mumbled and ran out the door. I smiled, even at times like that he had to come back and kiss me.

I sighed contently and laid back down on my bed. I was unbelievably glad that I didn't have work.. well.. at least they hadn't called me yet. It was around eight at night when I realized I spoke way to soon.

"Hello?" I said as I walked into my washing room grabbing my suit.
"Manchester Eye, you're needed immediately," My boss spoke huskily on the other side of the phone. "There is a building near by, I'll text the address." I nodded to myself.
"What's the mission?" I asked, throwing on my suit. "Anything good?" I wondered. 
"It's him," Everything seemed to stop with those two words, I smiled.
"I'll be there as soon as possible." I hung up the phone and rushed out the door.

Here's the thing about me. I'm not well.. I don't have what people would call a normal job. I'm a.. I don't like the word "superhero"... but I guess that's what I am. I'm not well known, I don't have a name like Captain America or Iron Man or anything, but I do the same as they do in the comics- I save people. I don't have powers, I'm just an extremely good fighter. I don't have some flashy suit, just a white (annoyingly- but comfortable) skintight suit with a camouflage capability. I was taught at a young age to distinguish bad people and take them down.

Dan didn't know this though. I didn't plan for him to know this- ever. If he knew.. if other people knew.. if villains knew.. they would capture him. I couldn't live with myself if he was captured.. or worse. So, I kept it a secret. I kept everything a secret. As far as everyone is concerned, the person in the skintight suit has no person inside it. And as far as Dan is concerned, I have a job at a writing company.

I rushed to the address as quick as possible. I finally had him, after years of endless fights he was in our sights and I had him off guard. This guy was the same as me, only he was nothing but what you would call a villain. He did unspeakable things- to me, to the city, and had plans for much more. I was finally going to put a stop to it all, and everything would be done. And I could finally quit, that's all I wanted. I wanted to be out of this life and alone with my husband at some wonderful place, maybe a beach or something, I smiled at the thought.

I dropped on the roof of the building and carefully made my way in. I was ready for anything that he threw my way. I could feel excitement run through my veins as I walked through the hallways towards the loud jarring of machinery. I got there and slowly opened the door- no one. My breath stopped, where was he? Suddenly I was shot, right in the neck, everything faded to black.

I woke up with my head throbbing. I was tied to a post, my arms and legs tied to the large metal bed behind me. I tried hard to pull free, but no avail. There was no way out no matter how hard I struggled. Suddenly I saw a figure below my in a black suit. My eyes narrowed, it was him. I couldn't help the growl that emitted from my throat.

"Oh, you're awake!" He said cheerfully, his voice sounded like two metals scraping together. I wondered if that was the mask or just his voice. I gritted my teeth.
"How could you have possibly-"
"You really thought I didn't know you were coming? Me?" He laughed. "Yeah, you're very smart." He walks around the room collecting supplies for the large machine in front of him. I couldn't tell what it was, it looked like some sort of bomb. He glanced up at the silence.

"Oh! I bet you're wondering what this is." He brought it towards me. "Well," He tossed it in his hands a few times,"I guess you'll have to wait and see." He turned around and kept working. "Oh, and by the way, good luck with those bonds, they're made out of impenetrable material so.. good luck," He laughed again.

I talked to him for an hour trying to get anything out of him. Trying to get to know his plans and trying so desperately to break the bonds. I couldn't, I couldn't even call for backup, I didn't even know where I was. Knowing who I was dealing with I was definitely in a separate building, He wasn't an idiot obviously. I felt like such a fool, I've worked with this guy for years, how couldn't I have known that he knew I was coming?!

"So what's your plan? To kill me? See who I am? Kill who I love?" I asked harshly. I noticed my mask was still on, it was strange for a villain not to see go he was up against. He laughed again, only it sounded sad.
"Kill you? Nah, I'll let you be watch as my final plan unravels. And as for seeing who you are..." He paused. "I have no desire." He shrugged.
"What?" I frowned.
"Well I do, but, I would feel-" Suddenly he stopped and snapped around. "Oh! I see what you're doing! Trying to talk me down! Nice try!" He yelled triumphantly.
"Worth a shot," I muttered.

"Well, seeing as you're talking about masks, I bet you want to know who I am. Who he is? Who's behind the mask? Well, there's is no escaping where we are, ever." He got close to me. "And I want my face," he started to undo his mask, "my real face, to be the last thing you'll ever see." He pulled it back and my jaw just about fell to the floor.

I notice those brown eyes, those curls anywhere. There were the same eyes I looked into every morning and the same hair I carded my fingers through every night. Standing in front of me was the last person I'd expect- my husband, Daniel James Howell-Lester.