All's Fair In Love And War Pt. 2

*Dan's point of view*

I was pissed as I sat there with my hands pinned above my head. I was the most respected man in my division, and then this guy came along. Waltzing in and acting like he owned the place. A damn spy.

How did I know he was a spy? Well, in the beginning, I didn't. It wasn't until I went looking through his stuff (I got suspicious  about why he was asking so many questions) that I realized who he really was.

I hadn't killed him because... of reasons I... didn't want to admit. Ok.. it's because he was too damn beautiful. I didn't want to believe it. Now that I was sitting here though, I wished I had. This guy was a traitor in my country.

"Because I didn't have much proof, making it illegal," I lied about the real reason, but it wasn't completely false.
"Fair enough," He narrowed his eyes. "I guess I'll just have to-" I didn't let him finish and head butted him with my head. He backed up with a confused look.
"Ow?" He frowned. I grabbed the knife he dropped and stabbed him in the chest.
Until I didn't.

Somehow, the knife stopped. It was like it hit a force field. I met his wide eyes with my own. He was breathing heavy and sweat trickled down his forehead.
"Why'd you.." He trailed off.
"I didn't," I frowned.
"Does that mean we're.." He didn't need to finish. I was having the same thought.

"Show me your arm," I held out my hand. He slowly brought his arm to my hand. I grabbed the knife and tried to put it down, trying to make a cut. I found what happened was just what I expected: the knife stopped.

I met his intensely blue eyes. I could see the fear in them.
"No, nononono, I can't- I can't fall.. fall in love," He dropped to the ground. I swallowed hard. My country was one of the most important things to me, and here was my soulmate, attacking it.
"You're on the wrong side," I whispered.
"Of course I am. I'm never on the right side," He muttered.
"Neither am I," I sighed and leaned against the door. "I'm rubbish at making decisions."

It got quiet for a little while.
"Have you ever killed a child?" I whispered.
"What?!" I frowned at him. "I.. I would never."
"I have. Ten. I have to kill their parents, but there can't be witnesses. I have to kill them too," He whispered, his eyes were glassy.
"Wow," I whispered.
"I'm not a spy, I'm an assassin. Trust me, you don't want someone like me as a soulmate," He rubbed his temples.

I was stunned by his words. How could someone like this be my soulmate. We were complete opposites. The more I thought about it though.. were we? The only real difference on why we kill, was pride.

"I do," I nodded towards him.
"Why?" He looked at me in disbelief.
"Because the people with the terrible lives always have the best stories," I sat across from him and looked him in the eyes. "And they make the greatest changes," I carefully grabbed his hands. His breath hitched as I did.
"I can't be with you," He whispered, he still didn't let go of my hands though.
"Why not?" I wondered.

"I would love to help you out. I really would. I could tell you every single one of my country's strategies, where they're headed and their weak spots are in their lines. But I can't. The King set me up. He found me and I did all his dirty work, for three years. The second he finds out I switched sides.. he'll be after me. He'll find assassins better at my job than me. The worst part? Assassins don't usually go straight for their target. They go for the people closest to their target. I can't let that be you," He finished. Again, I was stunned by his words. He was so beautiful and kind hearted, but sharp around the edges and guarded at the same time. As I looked him in those beautiful blue eyes I finally understood, why storms, are named after people.

"Then I'll be the target," I whispered.
"What?"
"I'll be the target, if you help us," I scooted closer, he frowned.
"This isn't negotiable," He sounded offended.
"Help us. Just because I'm the target, doesn't mean I'll always get hit," I pointed out. He paused. He looked up at me and a tear slowly rolled down his face. 
"What kind of pair are we? A soldier and an assassin?" He laughed.
"A great one," I got up and pulled him along.

We got back to the dining room and met back up with the King.
"Ready to win the war?" I smiled. 

Phil (after a while he finally told me his real name, (after five fake ones)) had the best strategies by far. It took us days instead of years to get into the country.

The final thing we had to do was finish how the war started.
"You can do it," I whispered. Phil cocked the gun. I could hear his heavy breathing as he aimed into the sniper scope. Below us, thousands of people were fighting in a bloody mess. Sitting on his high horse, watching his soldiers die, was King Fredrick.

With a loud bang! the King was gone, and we won the war. And I got to be with my soulmate.

——————————

Thanks for the prompt idea Verabxx!

I just publish the writing challenge book (the one I talked about in my authors note)! So if you want to get to know my better, I've started!