Blue Shimmer

*Phil's point of view*

"You only have two more years, Son. It's time to choose," My father repeated. I wanted to pull my hair out. I looked at all the options, they were all terrible. I didn't want to marry any of these women. They were all rich and snotty, just like my father. Plus, I happened to be gay. My father wouldn't except it, but I was. Every time I talked about how much I didn't want to be in an arranged marriage, my father said the same thing: at least you get to choose. He acted like it was some great honor to look at a few pictures.

"I suggest her, she's Princess of our best trade partner," I wanted to roll my eyes. He always said that, not realizing it wouldn't change my mind. The only person I wanted to marry was a boy. I don't know who since I'm rarely allowed outside the gates, but I found out a long time ago that I didn't like girls.

"King Lester!" A voice thankfully broke the silence. "Your presence is requested in the Meeting Area," Lynda, our messenger, called to him. He nodded and walked out the door. 

I sighed, each of these Princesses' were the same. "What the hell am I going to do," I groaned, I was finally alone so I could swear without our being scolded by my father.

"Having trouble?" I heard from behind. I turned around and saw my mother. I immediately smiled, I could feel my stress wash away for a few moments.
"Yeah." I sprawled the papers on the table. She walked over to me and looked through them. She frowned. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"He didn't take my recommendation," She sighed and set the papers back down.
"What recommendation?" I frowned.
"Well.. these are all women. The Prince I recommended was gay and incredibly kind. He'd be the perfect man for you to marry," She gave me a sad look.

My mother, unlike my father, was the most accepting person in the world. She was fine with me being gay, she even encouraged it. She would take me out of the kingdom sometimes just to meet up with other people like me. I didn't even know there were others like me, for a while I thought I was crazy or something. She was against tons of other things my father pushed on me. She hated arranged marriages. That was the only reason she was married to him- she didn't have a choice. She also hated the idea that I was rarely allowed to go outside. She seemed to be the only one who understood me in this whole kingdom.

"I didn't want to mention it. I'm sick of the disappointment talks," I cleared my throat.
"I know." She gave me a sad smiled and ruffled my hair. "I'll talk to him, I promise."

A few hours later and I had had enough. I was stressing out about some girl I was supposed to marry. How could I marry a girl if I liked boys?! I went to the back of the castle and snuck out. I did this quite a lot. Nobody ever noticed, other than my mum every once and a while. She never minded though.

I walked along the woods through a trail I made. The trail came out to the other side, a clearing with the ocean. I always loved the ocean. I loved the dark blue waves and the bright light of the sun that reflected off the water for miles. My father blocked off the ocean. This was one of the only places you could see it. I walked out on the old dock. The wood creaked under my feet at every step.

I sat at the edge and watched to waves go back and forth. My bare feet felt the cool water. I smiled and watched the endless blue, reaching out to the horizon. To me, there was nothing better than this. The gentle breeze, the cool water, and the vast sight of the deep blue waves I adored.

My silence was interrupted by a loud splash. I frowned and looked to my right. There was a blue shimmer in the water. It looks like a tail, I thought. My heart beat sped up, Oh my god! It is a tail! My eyes widened as I stepped out of the water. What kind of fish is that?! The fish was huge. It's tail was about the size of my legs! And I was pretty tall. I couldn't see the bottom of the fish, but I didn't want to go near it.

I wanted to walk away, but my feet caught in my tracks. I quickly realized the fish was stuck. It was swimming as fast as it could but it was tangled in a net. I didn't want to touch it, but I couldn't just let it be stuck here and die. I sighed and knelt down. I untied the knot and the fish broke free. I sighed of relief and watched it swim away.

Then I watched the blue shimmer come back. I frowned, it was like the fish wanted to see who rescued it. I knelt down and the fish swam back up. I was more than surprised by what came back up. I expected a fish, literally nothing else. Instead, all I saw was a boy.

He was a little tanner than me and had a small tone of abs, not much, but his muscles were bigger than mine. He had curly brown hair and the most beautiful brown eyes. They had.. specks of gold in them. I had never seen that before now. I tilted my head at his wide eyes. My heart felt like it sped up and bounced out of my body. I had heard of love-at-first-sight, but I had never experienced it until now. He was beautiful.

The next thing I knew, he dipped back in the water. Before he could speed away, I grabbed his wrist. He stopped and came back to the surface. Water bounced off his curls and eyelashes. He frowned and tried to get out of my grasp, but I would let go. I didn't exactly know why, but I wanted to do anything but that. A second ago I was scared of his fishy form, but now I was amazed.

"Let go of me," He pulled his arm away, but I tightened my grip. His voice was beautiful and soft. Well.. it would've been if it wasn't full of anger. I closed my mouth (I hadn't even realized my jaw dropped to the floor) and I could feel a blush creep up my cheeks.

"I.. um.. sorry," I loosened my grip. "Please don't go," I begged him as I let go. He narrowed his eyes, but he didn't swim away.
"Aren't you going to run away?" He looked my up and down. I slowly sat down.
"Why would I run away?" I asked, he smiled.
"I'm half fish half man, how do you know I won't eat you or anything?" He cocked an eyebrow up at me, the heat in my cheeks increased and I awkwardly cleared my throat.

"I'll take my chances," I swallowed, he smirked.
"You're weird. You're also kind of cute though," The boy below me smiled. How wasn't he blushing right now?!
"I-um.. what's your name?" I asked.
"I am Prince Daniel Howell of the underwater castle in St. Pichiquago," He held his head high with a dashing smile.
"I'm Prince Philip Lester of.. um.. here," I gestured at the land behind me, he snorted.

"You don't say?" He rested his arms on the dock. His head was dangerously close to mine. I looked down at the water. I watched his tail swish around calmly. His wet fingers cupped my chin and brought my face closer to his lips. "Tell me, My Prince, do you like boys?" He glanced at my lips, his beautiful eyes lingered there. My tongue was suddenly too big for my mouth and my eyes wouldn't unwiden.
"I-well-um," I couldn't get my words out, I nodded, his smile got wider.

It wasn't long after that when he closed the gap. I instantly melted into the kiss. I felt like my lips fit perfectly against his. His were cool and tasted of the salty ocean. I had never kissed anyone before and my heart was beating so fast. I couldn't help but love it. I wanted to deepen the kiss, but the next thing I new, the person I was kissing was gone.

He smirked at me from the water. He smiled.
"Cute and a good kisser," He sighed contently and looked up at the sky. "It's getting late, you should probably get back, My Prince." He winked. I didn't know how he knew it, but he was right. My father would kill me if I wasn't back soon. I got up in a daze and started to walked away. "Hey, Lester!" I heard right before I stepped onto the trail. "Thanks for saving my life. Meet me back here tomorrow." I turned around, and he was gone.

As I walked home all I could think about was Daniel. I've heard of mermaids before, they weren't uncommon, but the things I heard weren't very good. I heard they were like sirens. They'd kiss you, sing to you, fill you with desire, anything to come get you. As scary as that was, all I wanted to do was see him again. If he was going to kill me, I think he would have done it.

I walked through the palace into my bedroom. I was met by my mother. She smiled at me.
"Guess what?" She asked.
"What?" I sat down on my bed.
"I convinced your father to give you a year. If you can get a boyfriend by then.. you're set," She hugged me, the smile I already wore got wider.

I glanced out he window.
"I think I found the one."

———————————

Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!