"Will you be my Prince?" Pt. 3

The loud chirping rang in Dan's ears.
"Ok! Ok! I'm up!" He grumbled and got up from his makeshift bed. He scowled at the birds sitting on the mossy branch above his head. The birds chirped in protest. The almost seventeen year old got up and walked towards the small pond. "Hey Gilbert," He smiled at the old deer that always stood near the edge. Dan hated the name, but Phil insisted.

Dan hopped in the water and cleaned himself the best he could. He used the small bar of soap that Phil had given him. He got out and put on the clothes that Phil had also given him. Dan felt like Phil spoiled him.

He got ready and started to walk around the woods. He yawned and looked back to se the usual crowd of animals trailing behind him. He smiled and found the usual chair shaped log he always sat at. This is where he waited for Phil. He had about seven hours until he would come to the woods.

Dan couldn't wait. He couldn't admit this to Phil, but he had extreme feelings for him. Dan pretty much didn't do anything but think about him. Phil was just... amazing. He was so kind to Dan, even though he was practically homeless.

Dan sighed, he knew sitting here thinking about Phil all day wasn't going to do anything. He got up and walked around the woods. There was a tree up ahead filled with berries. Right next to it was the poisonous one. The only reason Dan knew the difference was because of the animals.

Somehow, over the years of living with all theses creatures, Dan had become their ruler. They looked up to him and helped him out. They showed him the dos and don'ts of living in the woods. With them helping him, he gave them protection from humans. Whenever the villagers came to hunt the deer, Dan was there. He was always there.

After a long wait, Dan heard the familiar clap that Phil always gave to let him know he was there. He walked and met the raven haired boy. Dan frowned. For some reason, Phil wasn't very happy. Dan stopped once Phil got to him. Dan figured Phil's family had another stupid party or something. That's usually why Phil was mad or upset.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Dan asked. Phil looked at him, his breath hitched.
"Can we sit and talk?" He asked, Dan nodded and they walked to their usual log. Dan started to worry, this didn't sound good at all.

"What's wrong?" Dan asked again. Phil shifted uncomfortably. He looked into Dan's brown eyes. They'd changed so much since they first met. They used to be sad and droopy, but now they screamed happiness.
"Well... I'm going to start with.. um.. I'm a... a.. Prince," Phil stuttered out. He winced- scared for Dan's reaction. He never told Dan this, what would Dan think?

"I know," Dan wore a small smile.
"I know this might come as a-" Phil stopped, realizing what Dan had just said. "You know?! What do you mean, you know?" Phil frowned.
"You let it slip about a year ago," Dan shrugged and started to eat the sandwich Phil brought him. Phil's jaw was pretty much to the floor.
"Why didn't you say anything?!" Dan, once again, shrugged.
"I was going to, but then I got distracted."
"Well this was easier than I thought.. almost," Phil sighed, Dan frowned.

"What do you mean almost?" Dan questioned.
"Well, as you know, our birthday is tomorrow," Phil started.
"Of course," Dan nodded.
"And as you also know, I'm turning twenty one," Phil explained.
"Phil why are you telling me stuff I already know?" Dan just wanted to know what was going on with him.
"Well, as a Prince, I'm going to have to take over as King soon, especially with my father dying," Phil hesitated. "And because of my age... I have to contribute in an arranged marriage."

Dan dropped his sandwich and stared up at Phil with wide eyes. He felt his heart shatter. He always liked Phil, he also felt there was a connection the two had. He now realized how dumb that was. How could he end up with a Prince?! Phil's heart was also broken, for he felt the same connection.

"Oh," Dan mustered the word although his throat felt tight from holding back tears.
"Yeah," Phil bit his lip.

Dan listened to the birds that chirped around them. On usual days they brightened up his situation, but today they seemed cruel and mocking. He had no appetite to finish the sandwich Phil brought for him.
"Why are you telling me this?" Dan finally asked the question that had been bugging him.

Phil's jaw clenched as he looked into Dan's gorgeous eyes. Phil came here for a reason- especially today- and it wasn't to tell him he was going to marry someone, well... not just anyone at least. Dan stared back. They stayed that way, until, suddenly, something pushed Dan towards Phil. Their noses were touching because of the closeness. He looked behind him, and, of course, saw Gilbert. Blushes crept up Dan and Phil's faces as they looked each other in the eye.

Phil was the one to connect their lips. Dan's eyes widened at first, but slowly started to close. Their lips moved slow along with their hands. Phil's wrapped around Dan's waist as Dan's fingers went on Phil's cheeks. Both of their hearts pounded in their ribs. Neither of them had ever kissed anyone before. Phil was the one to pull away with a smile. He put his forehead to Dan's.

"Because I like you," Phil answered.
"I like you too," Dan giggled, he was so happy that Phil felt the same way.
"Dan, I've looked at the book of rules front and back, and there's nowhere that says that we can't be together," Phil started. "I know it's soon, but I know I..I love you Dan. Why have an arranged marriage when I could marry you? So, will you marry me?" Phil asked, Dan jumped back, the question was so sudden.

His heart was racing, his eyes darted from Phil's lips to his mouth, his hands shook, and his breathing was unsteady. He took a deep breath and calmed himself down. He laughed and gave Phil a tight hug.
"Yes."

————————————
Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!