"We're engaged."

*Phil's point of view*

I ran my hand over the small box probably fifty times. Dan was already asleep, I should be too, but I was too nervous. We just came home from dinner at a nice restaurant, I was supposed to do it then. Why didn't I? I thought that the way I was going to do it was stupid.

I took the ring box out of my pocket. What was I going to do? I wanted this, I truly did. I walked into our room. I paced as Dan slept peacefully. I tossed the box from hand to hand. Should I wake him up? Or should I do it in the morning?

I sat beside him. I debated my next move. I slowly lifted his left hand. He didn't seem to notice at all. Then, I slipped the ring on his finger.

I took a breath out.
"Thank god that's over." I whispered and plopped down on the bed. I guess I didn't need to worry about proposing after all, it was easy actually! I smiled at my accomplishment and fell asleep thinking about our future wedding.

That morning I woke up to the sounds of cooking in the kitchen. I trudged downstairs and saw Dan cooking us some food. I could see my coffee steaming on the breakfast bar and sat down. 

"Morning." I yawned, Dan turned around with a smile.
"Morning." He said turning back around. I was surprised he didn't notice the ring yet, he would've said something by now. He was wearing a sweater, that was probably covering it.

Then I realized I forgot something, Dan still had to answer. Did I want to ask him? I decided against it.

"Hey, can you hand me a cookie?" I asked, we just got a bunch of them from the store and I've been eating them up. He rolled his eyes.
"Really? This early in the morning?" He gave me a smile, but his eyes were narrowed.
"Please?" I asked quietly, my smile was like a 5 year old's when they ask for candy. He rolled with eyes again.

He reached up into the cupboards and then immediately jumped back. I looked up at him.
"What the hell?" He asked bringing up his left hand. All the blood drained out of my face as he examined the ring, my eyes grew wide.
"Phil.. what is this?" He asked showing me the ring.
"Umm.. surprise?" I winced. "We're engaged." I did jazz hands, although they weren't very enthusiastic or convincing.
"What?! Since when?!" He frowned. "I know I drank some wine last night but I know I didn't drink that much." He said staring at the ring. I took a deep breath.

"Well.. I was going to do it last night." He looked up at me.
"You were.. you were going to purpose?"
"Yeah.. but then I realized that that wasn't the right place to do it.. so I was going to do it at home but-" I bit my lip.
"But what?" He asked, he was right across from me now, his eyes were glossy.
"I.. thought.. I thought you'd say no." I looked down at my lap. "So I slipped it on your finger last night."

"You though I'd say no?" I heard Dan asked, I could hear slight disbelief in his voice.
"Yeah?" I looked up to see him frowning.
"You are such a spork." He rolled his eyes. "Why would I say no?!" He laughed quietly.
"I don't know." I shrugged.
"Phil, I'd love to marry you. I've wanted to marry you for.. almost nine years now."
"So it's a yes?" I whispered.
"Of course it's a yes, now get over here and kiss your fiancé." He smirked, I leaned forward and kissed him. After a few seconds he pulled away. He had a confused look on his face.

"Hold on, let me get this straight. To avoid proposing to me, you slipped it in my finger.. while I was sleeping?!" Dan started to laugh.
"What else was I supposed to do?!" I laughed. He rolled his eyes.. and then the smoke alarm ruined the moment by going off. We seemed to have forgotten about the food, and now it was pretty much burnt to a crisp. Just our luck.