Forgetful

*Dan's point of view*

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Chocolate (a lot of chocolate)
Marshmallows?

I smiled at the list written down on my arm. I lived in a world where on your twenty first birthday, anything you wrote down on your arm would show up on your soulmates arm. I just turned 21 a week or two ago.

I figured three things about my soulmate very quickly.
1.) He lived very far away from me, so meeting him was going to be very hard. We each worked jobs that didn't make the best money, so we were saving up.
2.) His name was Philip Michael Lester. He was 25, and has been waiting for me to turn 21 for four years.
3.) He was the most forgetful person I've ever met. He always was writing things on his arms, appointments, grocery lists, dates, little reminders to do something, pretty much anything you could forget, he wrote it down on his arms, even his legs sometimes. 

I wasn't even close to surprised when I saw his grocery list on my forearm. I picked up a pen.
Grocery shopping? I wrote, a few seconds later I got a response.
Oh shoot, sorry, I keep forgetting that what I write on my arm goes to your arm too. I'll start using paper! I smiled, that's what he always said.
I find that hard to believe.

Phil and I wanted to meet more than anything. The cheapest tickets we could find were £98, which wouldn't be that bad, except when you're working at a coffee shop for long hours, so not only don't you have time, but with paying for an apartment, you don't have money either.

That is, until I got a bonus pay check, worth £100, just the amount I needed. I started to cry from happiness, I finally had enough.

I didn't tell Phil though, I know, I know, that's really mean, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to surprise him. I got the perfect opportunity too.

Dentist appointment at 3:30 tomorrow! He wrote, along with the address. I smiled, surprising him will be too easy.
Still no paper? I wrote.
God damnit, remind me to get paper. He responded.
Why don't you just put it in your phone or something? I wondered.
You know what? I think I'll do that...
I rolled my eyes, we both knew he'd forget in about an hour.

The next morning I was on my way. I was nervous but I was also more excited I'd ever been in my lifetime.
I'm wishing I could see you. Showed up in the palm of my hand.
Yeah, I wish I could see you too. I smirked.

When I got to the address of the dentist office I sat down on one of the chairs and read a magazine. I glanced at the clock, 3:25, it read. I looked around. Was Phil already here? Or was he forgetful and late?

There were about three other people in the waiting room. There was a girl with brown curly hair and pale skin, I mentally crossed her off my list. I was pretty much positive Phil was a boy.

Next was a boy with raven black hair and pale skin. It looked like his head was in the clouds as his stunning blue eyes wandered the ceiling. I didn't think it was him either. Although the boy was very attractive, he looked like the same age as me. I couldn't imagine him being four years older than me.

Then was the last person. The man was bald and was munching on some type of food in his bag. He was also telling off a receptionist, so I was kind of doubting if he was Phil either. Phil seemed too nice to be doing what this man was doing. Then again, was he just one those people that seem nice until you really get to know them? Knowing my luck, that's exactly who my soulmate was.

The dentist called out, "Phillip Lester?" at 3:32. My heart stopped. This was it, I was going to meet him. The boy with the raven black hair stood up and smiled at the girl. My eyes widened, so it was the attractive boy.

I sat there and waited, I imagined the conversation we'd have when he came back out that door. Each scenario ended badly in my head though, I was scared he'd be mad at me.

About a half an hour later, Phil exited the room he entered. He walked outside to wait for an Uber. I jumped up and took a deep breath.
I opened the door.

"You're Phil Lester, right?" I asked, he turned around with a curious look.
"How did you know that?" He asked, I could see him subtly look me up and down. Instead of answering, I pulled up my sleeve. His eyes widened.
"Dan?" He whispered. My breath hitched.
"It's nice to finally meet you," I smiled.

That was about five years ago. Phil and I are married now, and we both got amazing jobs. We are at an all time high. Thanks to his forgetfulness.

————————
Thank you brokencrimes for giving me the idea of this prompt!