Never Enough~ The Greatest Showman

I'm trying to hold my breath
Let it stay this way
Can't let this moment end
You set off a dream with me
Getting louder now
Can you hear it echoing?
Take my hand
Will you share this with me?
'Cause darling without you

Dan smiled at the way Phil held the little girl. She was small, so he was crouched down. She was leaning against his knee as she talked to him. She just seemed so happy to talk to Phil. Little Darcy was just rambling on, but Phil was somehow able to keep up. Phil eyes gleamed as he talked, every once and a while they'd glance up at Dan. Dan would simply smile back, avoiding how much his heart was gushing right then. It wasn't long before Louise was back in the room taking her away.

Phil held open the door and Darcy hugged him. She could exactly reach him, but Phil did his best to help her out. Within seconds, the small family was gone, Dan missed it. There was this... presence when they were around. It was like the house was happy. It was like the air was fresher.

Phil walked into the kitchen and started to make himself a cup of tea. Dan sat down at the breakfast bar and watched him. Dan frowned as he thought about Louise's small family. He thought he made up his mind. He didn't care about marriage, and he definitely didn't want kids. But ever time they came over, he longed for what they had a little more. It didn't really bother him until Phil was there.

Phil was just so sweet to kids. Maybe it was the fact that he always wanted them. Even so, Phil and kids was just about Dan's favorite thing. The sad part about Phil wanting kids was that he couldn't find the perfect person to have kids with. Phil longed for a picture-perfect family all his life. Dan didn't even realize he wanted that until now. Dan didn't understand it, but it wasn't just wanting a family, it was wanting a family with Phil.

"Hey, Phil?" Dan finally let loose, he had to know what Phil thought about all of this.

All the shine of a thousand spotlights
All the stars we steal from the nightsky
Will never be enough
Never be enough
Towers of gold are still too little
These hands could hold the world but it'll
Never be enough
Never be enough

"Yeah?" Phil asked. He grabbed his tea and stood across from Dan.
"Are you happy about where you are in life?" Dan wondered, Phil talked for a moment.
"Of course I am," He nodded.
"Really?" Dan frowned.
"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be? I live in an apartment with my best friend. I have four million subscribers, I have a job that I love, I traveled the world.." Phil reflected on his life.

Dan thought of the same things. He was thankful for the life he had, there was no doubt about it. Despite all of this, he felt like there was something missing. There would always be something missing. He finally knew what it was.

"Are you ever sad you never made a family with someone?" Dan asked. This stumped Phil. He knew it was always a dream of his- to have kids. He just never did. He was content with what was happening now. He looked up at Dan and shrugged.
"Every once and a while." He answered.

For me
Never, never
Never, never
Never, for me
For me
Never enough
Never enough
Never enough
For me
For me
For me

Dan nodded and started to walk away, but the thought was still in Phil's head.
"Truthfully," Phil started to talk again, Dan turned around. "I've always felt hat we're our own... little family." Dan smiled at that, but it still didn't settle his feeling. Somehow, he wanted more. He wanted love. He wanted marriage. He wanted kids. Most of all, he wanted it with Phil. He decided to take a big leap.

"Phil... I want kids," He said. Phil was surprised, Dan always talked about never wanting a family. 
"Since when?" Phil asked.
"I don't know.. seeing Louise and Liam..." Dan trailed off, but Phil nodded.
"I get what you mean."
"How do you get over that feeling?" Dan whispered.

"You try to meet someone who feels the same way," Phil looked at his feet.
"That could work, but," I sighed. "But whoever it is... it wouldn't be you," Dan could feel the blush rise up his cheeks as he realized what he just said. Phil looked up in shock.
"You want to have kids with me?" He asked surprised. Dan's eyes widened.
"We um.. I mean um.. do-do you want to have kids with me?" Dan stuttered out.

All the shine of a thousand spotlights
All the stars we steal from the nightsky
Will never be enough
Never be enough
Towers of gold are still too little
These hands could hold the world but it'll
Never be enough
Never be enough

"Are you telling me, that the Daniel Howell, the man who said he hates children, wants to have kids with me?" Phil giggled, that made Dan blush more. Then he realized Phil was teasing him, he narrowed his eyes.
"Oh, if I could take that back," Dan muttered.
"No take backs!" Phil shouted.

Dan couldn't help but smile.
"Seriously though.. you actually want that.. with me?" Phil asked.
"I would love to have that with you," Dan but his lip nervously.
"So does this mean you want to marry me?" Phil giggled. "'Cause I think we should at least be boyfriends first."

For me
Never, never
Never, never
Never, for me
For me
Never enough
Never, never
Never enough
Never, never
Never enough
For me
For me
For me

Dan thought about that. He didn't like the sound of it. Boyfriends. Was it weird that he felt like they were already boyfriends?
"Phil I wanna marry you," Dan decided. "That might be moving forward really quickly but-" Dan didn't even know how to react once Phil's lips were on his. He leaned into it, he knew that for sure. It was like his mind went blank.

For me

"I want that too." Phil smiled.

————————

Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!