Baking

*Phils point of view*

I measured the last ingredient.
"Perfect." I said plopping it in the bowl.
"Jesus!" Dan exclaimed. "You are way too clumsy for that." He said giving me a look.
"I wasn't going to drop it." I said.. and then I hit the bag of flour off the table. I winced as I looked at Dan. He gave me the I-told-you-so look.

I set my phone with the instructions down.
"I'll clean it up." I groaned.
"Yes, you definitely are." He smiled and started to pour the cake batter into the tray.

"You missed a spot." He said, I looked up and realized he was looking down at me.
"Hey! Look at what you're doing! You're going to spill." I said almost done with the flour.
"Unlike you, I'm not clumsy." He rolled his eyes and looked back at the pan.

We were making a cake for Louise's birthday party, she was coming over to our house.
"How long do I put it in for?" Dan asked holding the pan.
"Um.. fifteen minutes.. I think." I frowned.
"You think?! Can't you just look at your phone?" He said putting it in the oven.
"I've seemed to.. misplace it." I said looking around. He put the cake in the oven.
"You better be right, otherwise I'll disown you." He narrowed his eyes.

"A little late for that." I smirked holding up my wedding ring.
"Touché." He frowned.
"Can you call my phone please." I started to walk to living room to look.
"I guess." He said, I could hear him tell Siri to call "Rat" from the kitchen. I know right, what a cute nickname.

I looked until the timer beeped. I walked into the kitchen and Dan pulled the pan out of the oven
"You still haven't found it?!" He exclaimed putting he pan on the counter.
"No!" I said peering over at the cake, it looked delicious.
"Don't touch it Phil." Dan narrowed his eyes at me.
"Fine." I pouted. "Can you call my phone?"
"Again?! We've checked every room in the house!"
"Well the last place I had it was in here." I whined.
"How the hell did you lose it this bad?!" He yelled pacing.
"I have no idea." I frowned.
"Well where did you last set it? It had to be before we put the cake in the oven." I thought for a moment.
"Oh! I set it in the counter after I dropped the flour." I remembered.

We searched the counter.
"How could it just disappear?" I asked.
"Where exactly did you set it?"
"Around here." I said pointing.
"By the cake pan?" He frowned.

Realization seemed to settle over us at the same time, our eyes widened as we looked up at each other. We both slowly looked at the cake.
"You don't think..." He trailed off.
"There's only one way to find out." I said, Dan groaned. I dug my hands in and he did too. We fished around and then I felt a hard square object.

I grabbed it and there it was, my phone, with an intense heat warning on it.
"How the fuck is that ok?" Dan asked in disbelief.
"I have no idea." I said starting to eat the cake surrounding it.
"Are you really eating that?" He gave me a judgmental look.
"Well I had to clean it up some way." I shrugged.
"You're disgusting." He rolled his eyes.
"Says the one that married me." I smirked.
"Touché." He said with a small smile.