Amnesia Pt. 2

"Well what's your real name?" Phil asked the boy. He could tell from the look in his eyes that he was used to being called Howell or... Twat... but he didn't like it. His brown eyes met his blue ones again and intensified his look. "Why are you looking at me like that?" Phil wondered, he was growing uncomfortable under his gaze.

"I'm trying to figure you out," He answered simply. He sighed at Phil's confused look. "You aren't acting like now-Phil." He started to scribble random drawings down on his paper. He looked up to see Phil's confused face again and rolled his eyes. "You remind me of before-popularity-Phil," He answered. Phil wanted to ask what that meant, but the boy didn't care to elaborate.

Class went on and it wasn't until they were given homework that the boy spoke again.
"My name is Dan." That was all he said. Something in Phil's brain clicked when he said that. Dan... Dan Howell... he knew that name. He knew that name. Phil turned to ask him how they knew each other, but Dan already had his earbuds in. His body was angled away from Phil's, so Phil figured he really didn't want to be talked to and left him alone.

That was until lunchtime. There were tons of people trying to talk to Phil, but once he saw Dan walking through the hallways he made another excuse about needing a breather and followed him. Dan ended up walking into the library. He sat down at a table, grabbed a random book, kicked his legs up and started reading. Phil wearily walked next to him.

"Dan?" He asked quietly. There seemed to be no one else in the library, that struck Phil as odd. Dan looked up but rolled his eyes once he noticed who said his name.
"What? Are you following me around now?" He said putting his book back on the shelf. Phil decided not to mention the familiarity on his name for now.
"I just needed a breather. This place seemed pretty peaceful." Phil sat down across from Dan who nodded.

"Is popularity not what you thought it would be?" Dan snorted, Phil twiddled his thumbs.
"I never even wanted to become popular. Or at least... I don't think I did? I don't know..." Phil sighed. He had some serious evaluations to do, he couldn't even think what he wanted. "All of them are the real Twats," Phil muttered. Dan let out a loud laugh at that.

"Yeah, the old you never did either," Dan explained, Phil frowned.
"How did I even become popular?" He asked. Dan swallowed, and looked away.
"Long story short, a rumor started about you. You made a joke out of it, and BAM! you were in," Dan smiled, but he didn't truly look happy.
"What was the rumor?" Phil wondered, he didn't know what could have possibly happened that got him to change so quickly.
"Nothing," Dan shook it off, but Phil still wanted to know. From the looks of it, Dan knew something important.

"Well, it has to be something," Phil urged on. "I feel like it has something to do with you, I seem to remember your name better than anyone else's," Phil continued. Dan looked back up at that, he seemed conflicted.
"Yeah, well, go ask some of your popular friends, maybe they'll answer."

That's where the conversation ended. Phil didn't know why Dan dodged his questions, but he hoped that he would figure it out someday. That day wasn't anytime soon. Phil continued this everyday. He would leave everyone at lunch and hangout with Dan instead. He liked Dan. Dan was nice to him... or at least he was once Phil got to know him better. He told Phil over and over that the more he hung out with him, the less he'd be friends with the popular kids, but Phil didn't care anymore. He felt like a good person when he was with Dan.

Phil loved hanging out with him. Dan loved hanging out with Phil. The dimples in his cheeks were back. The sparkle in his eyes. Phil noticed almost immediately, teasing him relentlessly about his dimples. Although they became very close, Dan still refused to talk about Phil's past. He would mention "past-Phil" or "popularity-Phil" on occasion, but never went into full detail. Phil just wanted to know what happened. He remembered Dan's name, but he couldn't figure out why.