Stay

Time Set: Phil is 21, Dan is 17
Trigger Warning: Mention of self harm and depression

Dan walked into the crowded house. Some were drinking, some were playing games, others were just having a good time and conversing. Dan spotted Louise in the crowd, she was next to Liam- the host of the party. Dan walked up to her with a smile.

"Dan! I knew you would come!" Louise hit him on the shoulder lightly. She had been begging him to go to the party all week. After the week he had, he really wasn't up for it.

"Hey, Phil's coming, so of course Dan came!" Liam threw in with a teasing smile. Dan just rolled his eyes. Although, Liam was telling the truth. That was the only reason he came. Phil was in Uni and Dan hadn't seen him for a while. He knew Phil was going to the party tonight, so he wouldn't be able to see him until at least later the next night. That wasn't far away, but Dan really needed to see Phil.

"When's he coming?" Dan asked, Louise pointed him out in the crowd. Go figure, he was already there. He probably showed up to help prepare, that's just the type of guy Phil is. Dan nodded at Louise in thanks and walked over to where Phil was. He was talking to Pj and Chris. Once Dan got to him his face immediately erupted in a smile.

"Hey!" He said excitedly. "I didn't know you were coming." He set down his drink and gave Dan a hug. Dan almost instantly relaxed.

"Yeah, me neither. Hey guys," Dan said to Phil and company. They smiled at Dan.

It was nice. The whole night was nice. Phil got to see people he hadn't seen for a while and Dan got to see Phil. They all played millions of embarrassing party games and Phil even convinced Dan to loosen up and have a drink or two. Dan had one, he didn't want to go too far or anything.

By the end of the night people were so drunk they went home. The only ones left at the house were Louise, Liam, Pj, Chris, Dan and Phil. Chris and Pj decided to crash on the couches while Louise and Liam took one of the bedrooms. Dan was left with the spare and Phil took Liam's little brother's room.

Dan lay down on the bed with a sigh. Now that today's events were done he was left with his thoughts. He didn't like it. Suddenly, the door opened and Phil walked through. He carefully shut it behind him and looked at Dan with crossed arms.

"Hey, Phil." Dan sat up. What was Phil doing there? And why was he so mad? "What's up?" He asked with a questioning look.

"I should be asking you the same thing." Phil sighed quietly. He had a stern look on his face and Dan had no idea why. Was Phil mad at him? Did he do something wrong? He tried to rack his brain trying to figure out something that would make Phil mad, but he couldn't think of anything.

"What are you talking about?" Dan finally asked. The look from Phil softened. He walked over to the bed and sat across from Dan. Dan made room from Phil eagerly waiting for him to explain what was going on.

"Dan... we've been friends for years. And it is rare for you to lie to me. Mainly because you can't lie to me," Phil explained. This still cleared nothing up for Dan. In fact, he was even more confused. "But you've been doing it all night." Phil tilted his head at Dan.

"What?" Dan was confused even further. Everything Phil had said had been right. He knows Dan can't lie to him.

"Dan I know what your smile looks like. I've seen it almost every day," Phil went on. He took a deep breath. "But that... that out there- the one you've been using all night... that is not your real smile," Phil said sternly. Dan suddenly understood. "So, what's up? What's going on with you- what's really going on with you?" He asked worriedly.